Thread: *PLEASE HELP* Solipsism OCD

*PLEASE HELP* Solipsism OCD

Hello, everybody. I'm new here and I'm just looking for some help as I'm kinda freaking out. So recently, I came across a link that had explained something called "Solipsism" which is the belief that nothing exists outside your own mind. The thought of this really scares me, and depresses me because if that were true, then everybody, and everything that I love wouldn't exist. And all of the good memories that I had would just be a figment of my imagination. I know it sounds kind of ridiculous, but I've been over thinking it way too much lately and I just want to stop obsessing over it. Hopefully somebody understands where I'm coming from, and has overcame this obsession

Re: *PLEASE HELP* Solipsism OCD

No matter how afraid you seem to be right now or how much you believe this crazy theory just now that it'll get better. I promise. The thought of solipsism ate away at me. I had all the same fears as you. The fear that my family wasn't real. My friends weren't real. My experiences weren't real.

I can tell you right now I was in a dark place for about a month or so. I cried everyday to my mom. I contemplated hurting myself. Everything you can think of.
    Just know that with time this idea will wear out. It will start to bore you. You'll be able to snap yourself out of it easier and easier.
    I can't say that I don't still think about it everyday but with the help of medication and family and keeping myself grounded I've started to recover. I feel so much better than I initially did.

What helps me is to be on twitter and see other people talking about their daily activities. Or to look at old pictures or think of old memories. As much as we can say solipsism is real we can also say it's not.

I think my biggest issue and problem now is the uncertainty of life. I've been having issues with god and afterlife and the purpose of life and things like that. But I've finally started realizing that we all have these questions. It's normal. High anxiety sufferers just have a harder time coping with it.

Feel better doll, and remember that with time you will heal. I promise.

watch Netflix, comedies, wrap yourself up in the world and enjoy it <3

Thanks, Nikki! It means a lot to have someone who understands. I can totally relate, it's such a scary feeling, especially when you start believing it! I'm trying my best to distract myself, but at times the thoughts just seem to be overwhelming. And you're right that things will get better with time, sometimes I think this is permanent and it scares me. Thanks for giving me hope though

Hello! You would do well to consult "The" solipsism thread http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...ight=solipsism Many people have chipped in with help and reassurance. It will pass, it always does.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Hi, I've the same thoughts about nothing being real...They stemmed from my fear of schizophrenia because I've read about schizophrenic people believing that their families have been replaced by imposters or that everyone around them is an actor etc. I managed to reassure myself about schizophrenia but then I've had an Ocd thought "Wait, what if that's actually true? What if everyone around you isnt'real or is an actor etc.?" I don't believe it of course but the fact it cannot be 100% proven is unnerving.
    What helps me is distraction, trying to not ruminate on the thoughts even if I feel compelled to do so, because ultimately there's nothing to solve or prove and what we can do is only choosing to live and accepting this reality as it is. It's difficult to just ignore the ruminations but it can be done.

Hi Pittman,

I exist, and have a whole complete life that probably existed before you existed, as did millions of other people. Another way of thinking is that your DNA, which is uniquely you, is the end result of four billion years of pre-existing life.

Solipsism can be metaphysical or epistomological. Metaphysically, it is the type you are fearing about, although there are some branches of metaphysical solipsism that accept forms of realities when it comes to the 'problem of other minds' . Epistomologically, it states that everything outside the mind is unknown rather than unreal.

So, yes you can be a solipsist and take everything as being real, to be honest it's hardly a threatening idea and I've noticed the problem is more of an ocd reaction to something we perceive as threatening.

I mean, of course, life almost certainly is some kind of illusion. Our minds filter reality fgs, but I'd argue that despite this, absolutely everything exists.

Thread Information