Thread: Fear of depression?

Fear of depression?

Nowadays my biggest fear that rises up when I feel bad is that I'm clinically depressed and it's going to drive me to suicide.

I cant describe the fear this puts into me. It's only when I feel really bad that this happens...
    I've tried using CBT exercises to challenge the thoughts but the power of these negative emotions is unbelievable.
    I'm quite sure you could put this into the category of OCD.

Can anybody else relate to the fear that I have?

Re: Fear of depression?

I wouldn't say I do but I can appreciate how it feels when it gets so bad you wish it would all end, that is a place I have been to many times.

CBT is only so good and its not effective for everyone so its worth exploring what else you could try.

Have you thought of Mindfulness? This can help because it teaches you how to control your thoughts, be non judgemental to them and let them drift more without emotion reaction. This could help you in reducing your reaction to these thoughts. Its proven to access the compassionate side of the brain which is all about positive emotions so the more time you spend in that area of your brain, the less of these negative emotions are affecting you or will in the future.

I have exactly the same fear Rizo....I tota get it.

Hi Rizo

I have that fear as well to the point I can have a anxiety attack and feel the adrenaline surging through my body. Sadly I have been like this for around 2 years. I agree the feeling is very powerful. I try a few things like CBT, Muscle Relaxation, Mindfulness and jogging on the Treadmill. Some days are better than others although I seem to be better at night. I am currently not employed so have probably too much time on my hands and my thoughts can get the better of me. Coming of medication just now so feeling even more anxious along with the change of season ...( use SAD Lamp..). I hope these thoughts and feeling pass for you and wish you all the best.....

Steven......

Thanks for the reply neowallace.
    I am the same too, nights seem to be much easier. Although I had a few good months where I believed I was getting the better of my anxiety issues, it takes the smallest thing, like a panic attack to bring you down and make you feel like you are at the beginning again.

I appreciate your kind words and I wish you all the best too

Claire Weekes has an EXCELLENT bit on fearing depression in her audio recordings. Check iTunes if you don't have them. She gives (gave) brilliant advice.

Thread Information