Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lexapro Log

Lexapro Log

Hi everyone. Just wanted to start a thread about my experience with lexapro. Personally I have always been anxious and had some strange tendencies as a kid. I was diagnosed with Pure OCD a few years ago and have been dealing with it ever since.

This past summer, I had a breakdown and things got pretty bad for awhile. But I am building back up and trying to grow through the experience.

I tried prozac over the summer, but it made me really jittery and I could not sleep. After that I was put on mirtazapine to help gain some weight i lost back and to get me to sleep. Mirtazapine has helped most definately with anxiety. With OCD, thoughts provoke anxiety. Mirtazapine helped, but now when I got OCD thoughts, I got depressed and had been feeling down for a month or so. Whenever I was feeling down, I would go see my gf and that would cheer me up, but I want to be a happier person. This led me to calling my phsyciatrist and asking him about trying lexapro (this is what he reccomended last time I saw him but didn't go forward with it).

So now I am on mirtazapine (7.5 mg) and lexapro (5mg). I also have lorazapam (1 mg) but I try not to take it.

I am also in therapy for my OCD/anxiety/depression, so I am coming at this in a 3 prong approach.
    - Medication (lexapro and mirtazapine)
    - Therapy
    - Exercise (I lift 4 times per week but will run more as it releases hormones)

So this journal is not only a place where I can show you my progress with lexapro, but also a personal journey to happiness.

---------- Post added at 09:05 ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 ----------

Day 1:

Took my first dose after getting home from the gym. I gotta say I am in a much better place than I was last summer, but I was really just coping with my anxiety and was not happy. I was starting to get depressed and I think I felt myself slipping. The first dose actually made me feel good, but I took it in a good mood.

I cooked up a nice clean meal, watched some football and hung out with my gf. So day 1 was a good day and had no physical symptoms. It is way to early for me to feel any sort of difference as this will take some time to build up.

Re: Lexapro Log

Day 2
    Another good day on the meds. I took them when I got home from work, then went for a 5 mile run. Cooked up some fish and am now watching the Bruins in bed.

Side effects were really not noticable for me. If anything just a little tired, but besides that nothing. Appetite is there and don't really feel any nausea.

Therapy session tomorrow. So really working at getting better.

Day 3 was a rough one emotionally. I was really down yesterday and had a rough day at work, which caused me to get very negative and sad. Part of me felt sorry for myself which is not the type of attitude I want to have. I think a lot of my stress is coming from my job these days which is never good.

Physical symptoms are still really only being tired. When I take the pill I get a little loopy and a bit out of it. In time this will pass though. There is some apathy too as I don't seem to care as much, but I think this will pass to when my body adjusts.

Sleeping is still going very well. So I am glad I don't have the same reaction I did to this one as I did to prozac.

Day 4:
    Good day on the meds. I feel much much calmer, even when intrusive thoughts get into my head. I have noticed that I can notice the intrusive thought and shrug it off instead of getting depressed about them.

Day 5,6,7:

Feeling good on the medication. I sleep really well and I seem to be much calmer than I normally am. That general feeling of uneasiness is not there and there is definitely a difference in my mentality. Intrusive thoughts and OCD thoughts are still there, but they are not bothering me. I think overtime they will fade as this medication does fight OCD as well.

Had a good few workouts over the weekend, but did go to a party and drank too much on Saturday. Hangover was kind of rough, but mentally did not seem as anxious.

Day 8:
    Overall a pretty positive day. I am seeing results with the lexapro as it is making me a much calmer person. In combination of working out and therapy with the lexapro I do feel really good. I still have my intrusive thoughts and OCD, but I don't get anxiety over it as much anymore.

The one thing I worry about is weight gain since I care so much about my body. I will work extra hard to keep it off as the mental benefit is definately worth it.

Day 9:

Met with my psychiatrist today. Got a prescription for more lexapro as I think this is definitely helping me get better. I still have a lot of work to do with CBT and acceptance of my intrusive thoughts, but I want to get back to a better place and get my head straight, and this is the only way to do it. I also went for a 5 mile run and shopping with my gf. She has been super supportive to me and I am really grateful for her.

Day 10:
    Was pretty emotional last night. Second Wednesday in a row I was emotional. I am at a big crossroad in my life with the next step which is causing the emotions, not the medication.

In terms of physical symptoms, I feel good still. One day at a time.

It doesn't seem like anyone is reading this log, so I am thinking of doing it one week at a time starting next week.

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

I read it! It's good that you're confronting problems rather than expecting med to do all the work. Right attitude, and with help of Lex, I'm sure you will do your best to deal with causes rather than symptoms. Good luck and keep writing. This will help others on the same path.

Never Surrender, Comrade

I'm reading it too and appreciate the daily updates.
    I was on Lex for 5 yrs and have been off it for 4 1/2 but thinking I might need to go back back on so your log is very important to me.
    Are you experiencing any worsening of your symptoms ?
    When I was going on it before the first 2 weeks were a bit rough but you seem to be doing it pretty easily.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information