Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to mirtazapine...

New to mirtazapine...

Hi I was on citalopram and have been for past few years. My GP has swapped me onto mirtazapine (15mg). Will I be ok?? I am worried and stressing I also am on amitriptyline and she has told me to stop both of these and wait a few days to start the mirtazapine. I should take this on an evening and it will help me sleep (as did the amitriptyline taken for pain and to help me sleep).
    Please don't say it will make me put weight on... as I really don't want that. is it just an improvement to appetite?? As is if so that is ok I will be careful what I eat.
    Are there any different side effects I need to be aware of or is it best to not know?? I guess the dry mouth will continue and the not being able to drink any alcohol.
    How many days should I leave it until starting the new meds??

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: New to mirtazapine...

You can start mirt straight away but not sure why you've been told to stop amit if it was helping with pain. Mirt should knock you out and increased appetite is something you're aware of so don't think it will be a problem. Hope it helps anyway. It's supposed to work a lot faster than SSRIs.

Never Surrender, Comrade

The first few days of taking Mirtazapine if really knocled me out took about a week to return to normal and about a month before it made any noticeable difference. I put on about 8 kg in weight over a few months my appetite was increased especially for junk foods. As far as I know the tablet itself doesn't cause weight gain just the person inability to resist the increased food cravings. That and the inability to stay awake an hour after taking it were the only side effects I had after the initial week

I am on 7.5 mgs of mirt and haven't gained a pound, but you just cant give into the sugar cravings. But after awhile your appetite will decrease back to normal after a few weeks.

Hi Beeble - everyone's different, but I've not experienced any increase in appetite with the mirtazapine. The main side effect for me was being incredibly tired. That does improve a bit with time, and also as you increase your dose, if that's what your doctor is planning for you.

I've been on 45mg for 4 weeks now, getting some better days but today am exhausted, totally out of the blue, so it's not a smooth progression.

On the bright side, it has been great for cutting anxiety, and it's good to know you're always going to sleep well.

Good luck

I have had an awful weekend. I stopped the citalopram and amitriptyline on Tuesday but was worried, so called my surgery. One of the GP's called me back. He said I needed to wait until the citalopram was out my system so wait four days. On Thursday I was HIGH as a kite so happy. Then Friday I had an appointment with Occupational Health...(RE my long absence from work)...I was a bit worried about it but just cried so much when questioned about my job and how I was feeling> I honestly have never creid so much ever I don't think. The guy was quite taken aback...very angry that my school had made my life so bad as to get me into such a state. I came out of the office still crying and had to go sit in a coffee bar...just couldn't stop crying.
    Then next day (Saturday)...I again was feeling all dizzy and het up....I went shopping and just started crying in the street...got onto a bus and tears were streaming down my face I just couldn't stop, it was like my eyes were leaking....
    All afternoon I cried and was just prowling round I couldn't sit still....I called NHS direct and the nurse was so amazed that I had been told to just STOP all meds basically going cold turkey. A doctor eventually called me back by which time I had tried to calm myself down. He just said start the mirtazapine now...right that minute. Now I have started it (two tabs so far) I feel weird I cannot get to sleep for a start I just lie there in bed it's awful....then all day today I've felt weird...woozy dizzy and just not with it. I don't like being like this....wish I'd stopped on cit....will it stop?? Have I made right choice in starting mirtazapine?? I want to get better...I want to be normal feel normal.

im on day 6 of taking Mirtazapine, and today i feel weird I dont like this feeling but im going to stay on it and see if I feel any different in another week. They say it takes time so just try and get through each day,xxx

Hello Beeble,

What dose of mirtaz are you on? If it's a high dose, it won't help you sleep. What you can do - and you MUST discuss this with your doctor first - is to take the dose which will help you sleep in the evening (usually 15mg), and the rest the next day.

(Mirt is more sedating at lower doses, as is well known to all who take it, perhaps less known to doctors who have to have knowledge of hundreds of medicines)

Like all meds, your body will need to get used to it. We think these little pills are so small, but they are powerful drugs and we need to respect that fact.

Mirtaz is very effective for most of the people who take it, so good luck and hang in there - you will get better and get your life back, hopefully soon.

Albert

im on 30mg and sleep well. The days are not agreeing with me as yet. Today was a better day but im still not right going to give it another week to see is I notice anything. My mood has changed im not so snappy and gumpy.

Thanks Albert (and all who replied to my post)...I'm on 15mg and have been on MIrt since Saturday evening (so only four doses so far)...trouble is I just cannot sleep. I take the tablet around two hours before I go to bed and then I just lie there...last night I was awake until 4am...awful. I got up a few times made a milky drink, read a bit then snuggled down after plumping my pillows smoothing the sheet etc. I feel like a zombie today....(probably look like one too.... aha)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information