Thread: Does anyone else get this symptom after eating carrots?

Does anyone else get this symptom after eating carrots?

Last night as a healthy snack I decided to get myself a nice bowl of carrot sticks. Tasted good, thought nothing of it.

But at 6am this morning I woke feeling very unwell with stomach cramps, bloating and lots and lots of gas. Followed by a loose stool later on. I'm wondering if the carrots might have sparked an IBS attack???

The other things I ate for dinner last night were some mini sausage rolls and some crisps, plus a bacon & egg sandwich for lunch today which might not have helped.

Maybe too much roughage in a short space of time???

Re: Does anyone else get this symptom after eating carrots?

It sounds like it was the best source of fibre in your evening - and fibre can cause gas if you are not used to consuming much of it.

From the NHS website: http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1141.aspx?categoryid=51

"If you need to increase your fibre intake, it's important that you do so gradually. A sudden increase may make you produce more wind (flatulence), leave you feeling bloated and cause stomach cramps."
    but don't rule it out, it's good for you, just take it easy maybe

Yeah, probably was too much fibre. I'll take it easy next time!!

Weirdly enough other sources of fibre like bread beans etc don't cause the same problem. Different type of fibre I guess?

Yeah I guess so, I expect everyone's guts deal with different things in different ways - i expect it can change over time too, i.e. after eating a lot of fibrous veg for a month or so, it probably wouldn't be as bad. I don't think I've ever had a particular problem with beans either, although as common knowledge tells us, lots do supposedly!

I had to give up eating raw carrot. I'd be so swollen in my bowel it was behind belief.
    I can't eat baked beans as they have such a dire affect on my digestion. Loose stool wud be an understatement so I avoid them like the plague. From time to the if I overdo something, e.g. Dried mango, it can have the same effect. Also some pâtés (veggie) such as lentil... Can do it. A sudden change in my diet, especially things if this nature will definitely lead to a reaction. Of course by the time I realise, it's too late!!!

Thread Information