Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Escitalopram - 5mg

Escitalopram - 5mg

Been prescribed this to take rather than relying of Kalms and Camomille tea, it's supposed to be the 'son of Citilopram'

Does anyone, has anyone taken this is a low dose, did you have any side effects, has it worked for you?

Doctor said this variety is good for anxiety and in such a low dose I won't get any side effects. Taking medicine of any kind is a major scare for me, hence why I've still not taken it.

I feel I need to bite the bullet and start my course.

Re: Escitalopram - 5mg

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Colin44,

I've been on Cipralex for years now. It is a very good drug for anxiety (im my experience at least) and not as heavy going as some meds.

I started on 10mg many moons ago, and I did have side effects, but then again my anxiety was already pretty high, and they do say that you can experience an increase of symptoms when first starting the meds, but this decreases pretty quickly, and mine did.

I would be surprised if you experience any bad side effects from 5mg, as it is a very low dose, and it sounds like your doc is doing the right thing here by starting you at the lowest dose you can really have. He/she can then increase it gradually if you need that, whilst minimising any chance of side effects. It is a good plan!

I have been on 5mg, but only during the period I was decreasing my meds, so I already had a load in my system, but what I will say is that I had no effects from decreasing it, and it worked just as well, but maybe that was because I had reached a plateau with it beforehand.

It is hard to say just how effective you personally will find 5mg, as it depends on a lot of variables, like how high your anxiety has been prior to meds/now, and how you personally will respond. Everyone is different. Some find a low dose great, others need more, such as 10mg (I am on 10mg now.....sadly I had to go back on meds, sigh!) or 20mg if not more.

Don't be scared to start them. Try if you can to see it as a necessary road to travel to sort your anxiety, as nothing is worse than feeling how you do with it. Any side effects (which I doubt you will have, or of you do they will be small) are just a bridge to cross, but you will cross it and feel way better.

Good luck!

What kind of side affects did you get? Was it just a heightened anxiety and panic? How long did it last? Does it affect you in any other way?

Colin,

I am on day 4 of 5 mgs of this med. I really haven't noticed any side effects besides being a little more tired. I'd take it after work or school the first time to see how it effects you.

I started a log if you want to follow along for the ride. Se can beat the anxiety, we just have to take it one day at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by b0yer View Post
    Colin,

I am on day 4 of 5 mgs of this med. I really haven't noticed any side effects besides being a little more tired. I'd take it after work or school the first time to see how it effects you.

I started a log if you want to follow along for the ride. Se can beat the anxiety, we just have to take it one day at a time.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, I'll read your blog. Time to man up and take these tablets.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin44 View Post
    What kind of side affects did you get? Was it just a heightened anxiety and panic? How long did it last? Does it affect you in any other way?
    Initially, tiredness was number one. I could fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Secondly, nausea. I had no hunger at all and couldn't face even trying a meal. After this, I had a heightened anxiety and felt a bit spaced out. All of these symptoms lasted about a couple of weeks, then I felt way better.

It wasn't pleasant, but I tried to bear in mind that this meant the drugs were doing what they should do, and I will soon feel better....and I did.

You have far more to gain that you do to lose by taking the meds. 5mg is a tiny dose. You should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    Initially, tiredness was number one. I could fall asleep at the drop of a hat. Secondly, nausea. I had no hunger at all and couldn't face even trying a meal. After this, I had a heightened anxiety and felt a bit spaced out. All of these symptoms lasted about a couple of weeks, then I felt way better.

It wasn't pleasant, but I tried to bear in mind that this meant the drugs were doing what they should do, and I will soon feel better....and I did.

You have far more to gain that you do to lose by taking the meds. 5mg is a tiny dose. You should be fine.
    Colin, I have the tiredness and spaciness right now and it is not bad at all. If anything trying the drugs will allow you to stop thinking "what if".

Hit me up via PM or in the log if you need anything or you need to check with someone about your experience. We are all going to get better from this.

Still stressing about taking these tablets but today is the day. Hit a new low and called in sick to my work as I can't face the panic that might hit me later on. I know these won't work overnight but its still a barrier that I need to sort. Just need to take one and get on with it.

You can do it! It's really not a big deal. The medication will not make you go crazy. Stay busy and you won't even notice the side effects.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information