Thread: taking things as a sign.

taking things as a sign.

Do you ever read an article randomly and it seems to coincidentally be about that one thing you're worrying about?
    I have brain tumour/ cancer worries and it seemsas though I see it in the media all the time!
    Anyone else experience this.

Re: taking things as a sign.

It's very common, and not just with anxiety.
    For example, say you've just split up from a relationship, you might suddenly start reading about celebrities' love splits, or people who have committed suicide after a relationship breakdown etc.
    Or if you're trying for a baby but struggling to get pregnant, it suddenly feels like you can't move for new mums and their babies, pregnant women, adverts for prams etc.

Those stories have always been around, it's just that you are thinking about that topic so much, it's all you notice. Also, subconsciously, you're searching out proof of what you're feeling/thinking about.

I think that we notice things more when they are on your mind. For example when I was trying to get pregnant, all in could see were pregnant women. Were there more pregnant women around than usual? No! I just noticed each and every one of them.

Then when I was concerned my son was autistic, I saw lots of news articles and facebook advertisments about autism. Our subconscious picks up on key words that are to do with our worries.

I don't believe in 'signs' anymore, I have been proved wrong too many times!

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Oh snap Chickpea!

Quote Originally Posted by Mondie View Post
    I think that we notice things more when they are on your mind. For example when I was trying to get pregnant, all in could see were pregnant women. Were there more pregnant women around than usual? No! I just noticed each and every one of them.

Then when I was concerned my son was autistic, I saw lots of news articles and facebook advertisments about autism. Our subconscious picks up on key words that are to do with our worries.

I don't believe in 'signs' anymore, I have been proved wrong too many times!

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Oh snap Chickpea!
    Haha! Great minds think alike!!

I can't say it better than the two ladies above me said it. They're wise and very right.

I was just thinking how great my wife was looking today and she came walking through the room... that must be a sign!! "Ohhh Honeyyyy"

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Thread Information