Thread: Swallowing Problems

Swallowing Problems

No More Panic

Hi Everyone, i've just joined the group, and thought I would post a message, to let you know about the symptoms I have been experiencing lately.

I have had bad panic attacks for many years, and they come and go with varying strength over the years. I also suffer from depression, and am taking the relevant meds.

Lately they have gotten worse, and last week I went to A&E thinking I was having a heart attack. I was given an ECG, and sent home saying that might heart was OK, and it must just be an panic attack. When I get them they sometimes just make me crumple to the floor, and I get a swirling feeling in my stomach ,and although not painful they are incredibly distressing and frightening.

The other symptoms I am getting is that I am having major problems with my swallowing. I find that I feel like i'm choking on my saliva when I swallow. I can't swallow food just liquids, so i've been living on complan for a few months, and lost a lot of weight. I also find I cant tolerate thick liquids, as it sticks in my throat and makes we choke. I'm also frightened of going out in case I have one of my swallowing attacks. I've been told that this condition may be globus hystericus, and my doctor says that they are anxiety related, and has adjusted the meds that i'm on to try and sort this problem out for me. All this is ruining my life and I just want them to go away...please..

Thanks for reading my post, and I would welcome any comments or feedback.

Warm Regards

Rael

Re: Swallowing Problems

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Swallowing Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    No More Panic

Hi Everyone, i've just joined the group, and thought I would post a message, to let you know about the symptoms I have been experiencing lately.

I have had bad panic attacks for many years, and they come and go with varying strength over the years. I also suffer from depression, and am taking the relevant meds.

Lately they have gotten worse, and last week I went to A&E thinking I was having a heart attack. I was given an ECG, and sent home saying that might heart was OK, and it must just be an panic attack. When I get them they sometimes just make me crumple to the floor, and I get a swirling feeling in my stomach ,and although not painful they are incredibly distressing and frightening.

The other symptoms I am getting is that I am having major problems with my swallowing. I find that I feel like i'm choking on my saliva when I swallow. I can't swallow food just liquids, so i've been living on complan for a few months, and lost a lot of weight. I also find I cant tolerate thick liquids, as it sticks in my throat and makes we choke. I'm also frightened of going out in case I have one of my swallowing attacks. I've been told that this condition may be globus hystericus, and my doctor says that they are anxiety related, and has adjusted the meds that i'm on to try and sort this problem out for me. All this is ruining my life and I just want them to go away...please..

Thanks for reading my post, and I would welcome any comments or feedback.

Warm Regards

Rael
    Hi Rael,

I feel for you. I've only just started getting panic attacks this year.

I've had the EXACT same symptoms come on earlier this year. I still have problems now, however there have been a few periods where the swallowing issue almost went away for a few weeks. Then I had a panic attack and it came back. Therefore I know it is nothing terminal and is an anxiety symptom (so long as doctor has given the all clear).

Don't worry, it will get better eventually. Maybe start on softer foods and then work your way back up to solids. Take smaller mouthfuls to start off with.

Thread Information