Thread: Propranalol question

Propranalol question

hi I take 50mg a day of propranalol which I take 5 x 10mgs. This is a nuisance because I can't take antacids and I have reflux. I spoke to the pharmacist about slow release tablets and unfortunately they only make 80mg tablets. I don't get any real tiredness etc from the way I take them but feel jumping from 50 - 80 mgs is a big step and I really panic about taking meds anyway. I do need something for my tummy and can't take omeprazole it makes me feel dreadful as does lansoprazole - severe headaches and stomach pain.
    Any opinions.
    Thank you Angie

Re: Propranalol question

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Angie. I am unfortunately not qualified nor knowledgeable enough to provide you with any suggestions as to your symptoms.

From what you've written, I gather that you suffer from stomach acid reflux. That is causing you heartburn and other unpleasant sensations. You are also writing that your -prazole class medicines are causing you unpleasant side effects. You are then writing that you are taking propranolol 5x each day and you are saying that you are not taking antacids for the reason of propranolol.

I checked the interactions and contraindications of propranolol 10mg tablets via the patient information leaflets on medicines.org.uk (use the search field, enter 'propranolol'), and I have not found such interaction, except for acidosis. Have you been diagnosed with acidosis, or, why do you not wish to take your antacids which seem to have been helping you with your stomach disease? Clarification is needed.

I also gather that you are afraid to jump to 80mg propranolol and I think your fear is actually justified. But you need to understand one important thing. There is a difference between a hard tablet and a capsule. Tablets usually last for a short period of time until they fully dissolve and then leave the body. With each propranolol tablet here in the UK it is about 4-5 hours in total. However, with capsules (made of soft gelatin), these contain about 100 tiny spheres, grouped usually into 5 groups (20,20,20,20,20) with a protective layer on it (so-called coating) with a different thickness in each group. This coating dissipates depending on its thickness. Only after it disintegrates, it can release the active substance (propranolol) into your body. So, in practice, these capsules release the first 20 immediately, after 2 hours goes the second group, after further 2 hours goes the third etc. In this way, capsules differ from classic tablets because it takes usually over 10 hours for the whole active substance in that capsule to dissolve in your tummy and in your body. Another possibility to consider would be to switch from propranolol to other calming medicine. It really depends what you are taking propranolol for. More information would be helpful in this area. All this means that a 80mg capsule is very similar to taking 5x10mg propranolol.... The capsule will also release say 5x15mg of propranolol over 10 hours or so... The last propranolol option is a propranolol solution (edible, sweet, you can swallow it like a syrup) called Syprol... You simply "sip" your propranolol in

So ultimately, it is down to what the doctor can prescribe and what you can tolerate. Maybe you should ask your doctor (or another doctor for a second opinion which always helps clear things) if you could get the whole day capsules (the prescription must say propranolol hydrochloride capsules; otherwise you'll get the tablets). Maybe you should also ask if you can take propranolol with your antacides. Ultimately, you may wish to consult your situation with a private doctor in your area who is, usually, more inviting and more approachable.

Please, let us know with more information about your situation, so we could help further.
    Last edited by Svojski85; 06-11-14 at 21:10.

If i'm reading your post right Angie, you're saying you can't take antacids, not because of taking propranolol, but because they just don't agree with you? I've been taking propranolol for the last 6 years and started off on 80mgs slow release capsules which didn't agree with me to be honest, and now take 40mg tablets as 2x20mgs morning and evening and these suit me fine.

I have also started to suffer from acid reflux and take antacids for it which help, but they aren't on perscription, I just buy them over the counter and they are called Rennie Deflatin...its active ingredient is called Semeticon and this is important as they don't all have this and Semeticon is the bit that makes it work believe me. It doesn't interfere with the proranolol and could be kinder on your system than the others you've tried. Just to add that propranolol help alot with the heart flutters and missed beats that ive suffered with for years, and any digestive problems can make heart palpitations much worse so there is a definate link there, although you don't mention palpitations as a sympton for you.

ISB x

I have no problem with propranolol and rennie deflatine for bloating due to ibs the deflatine work very quickly.

Thread Information