Hi

I was prescribed Citalopram 20mg this week after I had some personal issues that were causing me anxiety.

I have taken it before a couple of years ago when I had severe depression. This time I am just mildly anxious rather than depressed. I didn't notice any side effects the first time I took them, but saying that I felt so ill and shakey then I don't think I would have noticed.

But this time, just a few hours after taking the first one, I felt terrible. I had severe nausea, diahorrea, mild stomach pain, jaw-clenching/ache, wobbly legs and felt very muzzy headed and off balance. The next day I didn't take one and felt a little better and yesterday just took half a tablet - the symptoms came back with a vengence so I don't intend to take any more. But although my my symptoms are starting to fade, I still have quite bad diahorrea. I have read that the side effects will pass if you persevere but I have to work/drive and didn't feel able to cope with either in that condition.

I wondered if this was normal after such a short space of time taking them and how long it takes to get out of the system? Does anyone know of any other anxiety medication which is less likely to cause side effects.

Thanks for your help