Thread: sleep choking

sleep choking

For many years I have had problems falling asleep, I am now 58 and the problem is very bad now. It can take hours for me to fall asleep and once I am asleep, I awaken thinking I am choking on something; ie: a golf ball, thumbtacks, nails, glass, etc. I awaken in such a severe state, My heart is racing a mile a minute and I feel like I am going to die. I always disturb my wife when this happens and quite often I tell her this is it, I am dyeing and to call an ambulance. It is so scary!!! I always have the feeling that mucus is building up in my throat while I am lying down and I feel this has something to do with it.I just had a sleep study done and I don't have sleep Apnea. I also have had social phobias most of my life and have been on medications for that issue. Currently I am on no medications, ie: Anti depressants, tranquilizers and I really don't want to go back on them. I've been to many doctors and why is it NO ONE CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM. Any thoughts on this serious matter! THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Re: sleep choking

I get this often and put it down to my anxiety....the worse the anxiety the worse the waking thinking I have choked and stopped breathing. I know it sounds hard but if you can accept it is just anxiety then the waking will stop.

Sarah

Thanks for your reply. For many many years I was on prozac and klonopin. I was so unthankful for finally being off all meds. I really have been blocking out the idea of going back any medication. But the sleep choking problem was getting so serious for me and my wife, I decided to see my family physiciatrist. He advised me to take .5 mg of klonopon. I listened to him and I am sleeping great now, no more choking. I also for the past year got into a steady exercise program with my 17 year old son. I think as long as I continue exercising and even increasing the exercise, I shouldn't have any negative side effects from the klonopon. Thanks Again!

my husband does this. He wakes and jumps out of bed and scares the hell out of me. He feels like he wasn't breathing and his heart is racing. Sometimes he doesn't even wake up. He has come to me in his sleep just for me to tell him he's ok. even if im not in bed he'll come down stairs and hug me, but not remember it the next day. I have to put him in bed like a kid. It's scary for both of us but he refuses to go see a doc over it. I have noticed it does happen when smething happens that stresses him out. Happened a few night when he found out his mom has MS. So i guess it could be anxiety related. glad the meds are working for you! Wish I could get him to do something about it.

In my last post I meant to say,I was so thankful for finally being off all meds.

Thread Information