Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: back again

back again

Hey everyone,

I have been a member here for a while now, but managed to 'beat' my anxiety to the point where I stopped coming on here for support.
    Unfortunately, it has totally come back with a vengeance - I decided not to post on here for a while, I guess because I didn't want to admit to myself that the anxiety and panic have come back, but... they have.

I guess there are lots of reasons why my anxiety has come back, but the main problem for me has always been health anxiety - I'm too scared to take any medication and am always terrified i'm going to get sick or get cancer or something. It's totally ridiculous, because I'm not even 30 yet and seemingly healthy and well.

Anyway, I've had a really bad cold for about three weeks now - last week I was in bed all week with a raging fever, and my coughing has got progressively worse. I noticed the other day that I was wheezing when coughing, so I went to see the doctor in the hope that he'd give me some antibiotics or something. He told me I had 'mild wheezing bronchitis' and gave me a ventolin inhaler (which I haven't used yet, because I'm scared it'll make me choke). He said that using the inhaler 'might give me palpitations, but don't let it worry you'.

So i am TOTALLY FREAKED OUT NOW!! I nearly ran off the bus home in a panic and I am totally paranoid that i can't breathe properly and that it's going to get worse and i'm going to die of bronchitis.

The annoying this is that, deep down, I know i'm being ridiculous. I just need someone out there to remind me that I'm being silly and that I'm not going to die from this and that it's only a matter of time before the cold clears up.

I would be so happy and grateful for any reassurance that anyone out there can give.

Thank you so much,

Henri x

You won't die of mild wheezing bronchitis...honest!
    Bronchitis just means inflammation of the smaller tubes in your lungs probably caused by the infection. Wheezing happens because your tubes are inflamed and a bit swollen and this causes your breaths to sound noisier than usual. The ventolin inhaler helps to open up your tubes a bit more to stop the noisy breathing. Have you used one before?

Toto

Thanks Toto, I know i'm being a bit mad - so embarrassing!
    I have never used one before - well, my boyfriend just made me do it about 10 mins ago and I didn't choke, so that's good. Not sure it's done anything, or if i did it properly, but it's a start i guess.
    Thanks for replying to my post x

You're not being mad at all. New medications can be scary and sometimes doctors don't say the right things. If you take the inhaler properly, it will stop you wheezing if your tubes are constricted but it won't get rid of the cold unfortunately. It can be difficult to get the inhaler technique right. If you need help, ask your pharmacist. And don't overuse it cos it can make you feel shaky. ( I have a lot of experience of this!)

BTW, colds are a pain in the a***. !!
    Take care x

Toto

hiya henri!

sorry to hear you have the need to come back here, but like so many of us on here, your anxiety is making you over react to your bronchal problem. You know that, I know, but you are in good hands here.

Hugs,

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi Henri,

Welcome back again im sure you'll find the strength to overcome this anxiety, as you'll already know you get great support on here.

Take care

shirley xx

Henri,

Oh hun it is so nice to see you post. You are one of the first people I remember when I joined here and we both used to buy 'Meg's munch' as a healthy snack, do you remember.

I am sorry you feel a bit freaked at the moment and I can only repeat that you are being silly and you won't die from this and it's only a matter of time before the cold clears up

If you hear it enough times I reckon you will get the idea. I know so many people who have had lingering colds all through December, me being one of them!!

You will be right as rain as soon as you know it mate but in the meantime welcome back

Piglet

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

elo Henry,

Welcome back...so dis is ya old home eh lol...ye not mad...god...we all de same..ya did it before n u'll do it again..again welcome .

Take care,

Lin.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Welcome back Henri. Yuo know you'll get lots of support here. I'm feeling a lot better now than I was a couple of months ago when I joined but will always pop back for maintenance.

Jo

Welcome back Henri - good to see you back and sorry you are having a bad time of things at the moment.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information