Thread: Just give up

Just give up

I thought someone might have some advice on this one. I started seeing a new psychologist who has been recommended by a few people. After our initial visit, I explained to him about my intense GAD that never really gives me any time to enjoy life, relax, feel good. As a type A person, I feel like I try everything to get better.

His advice.... Just give up trying to get better. I know he means that accepting it ends the fight against it, but to just give up. I don't even know where to start, He advised to stop meditation, journaling, looking up stuff on the internet, the rationale is that none of those had worked. I am perplexed.

He did say to focus on channeling your energy to focus on my family. I am working on that part but any advice on the giving up? It is just depressing to think that way and I am depressed enough after 20 years of dealing with different forms of anxiety.

Thanks

Re: Just give up

I would say try not to put anything more into it than is needed. It's a radical new mindset for someone who has been suffering for years so you may find it difficult to grasp it. You do need to just drop these things with the knowlege that dropping them is taking power away from your anxiety. And importantly, do it with a smile too.
    One way of doing it is to pretend you are absolutely fine - in the same way, just dropping all the things you have been doing that you mentioned. I don't know if you have read the article, "nothing works" in my signiture but that is about what he is saying.
    I like what he's saying, it rings with me.
    However, I would say that if you want to meditate to help with your whole life and just the anxiety, keep doing that. If it's not for anxiety, it's not a coping mechanism. For example, a lot of people meditate who don't have anxiety.
    Hope that hasn't confused you.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Thanks - that is helpful

It sounds like your psychologist may be considering the Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) approach. However, just because he says to 'give up' on trying to get better, it doesn't mean you have to give up on some of the things you have tried and enjoy. So if you enjoy meditation and journalling, continue to do so, but the point your psychologist is making is that perhaps a different approach will help you better tackle the anxiety. It might help you to understand more about his approach by reading up on ACT. The idea is to 'accept' things and let them go - not quite the same as 'giving up', but it will become clearer when you understand it better.

Thread Information