Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP need positive vibes just been prescribed this med

HELP need positive vibes just been prescribed this med

Hi I have just been prescribed 3 50mg a day so 150mg a day of pregabalin. I need some positive vibes to take this med as I'm point blank refusing to take it right now.

I've been tried recently on numerous anti do all have made my anxiety worse or made me suicidle. Because of this I'm petrified to try anything else.

I was prescribed diazepam for 2 weeks to help me relax and now she's trying these as a long term approach. I suffer with gad and most recentLy been diagnosed with OCD with very scary intrusive thoughts. Hence the diazepam as I was at a helpless point ( still am ) where my mind is constantly racing and I just can't see me getting better especially now I'm having intrusive thoughts I'm very scared and feel completely hopeless.

She has prescribed me 10 more Diaz tabs to cope with any side effects off the pregabalin which is comforting but I just can't bare the thought of taking another tablet that will make me feel so bad and to the point of suicide. I can't live like that I have a precious 2yr old.

So yeah I know Nothing of this med. I've never heard of it. My doc said it's cause it's new to treating gad and is expensive so they don't prescribe it unless they have to. Can anyone tell me a bit about the med? Is it an anti d as such? What are/were your experiences on it? How to overcome the fear of taking another tablet xx

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

Re: HELP need positive vibes just been prescribed this med

Hi ,
    Calm down This is a brilliant med. It is NOT an anti depressant. I get terrible SE;s from drugs but this one saved me. Take it now! You will feel relaxed and a little "drunk" but your anxiety will be relieved VERY quickly. Have a look on this site under pregabalin and you will see loads of posts about it. You can take diazepam with it until you get to right dose of pregablin which COULD be 600 mg's a day. The dose varies with different people.
    150 megs may be the right dose for you. Remember the SE's will pass quickly. You may even feel a little "euphoric" for a few days and very talkative.
    This really is a great med for anxiety and I had NO scary SE's at all and I am VERY sensitive to meds.
    Good luck

sarah

Hey Avas,

Yes agree with everything Sarah says. Preg is a new, sophisticated and very effective medicine that works for the majority of people who take it, and with lower side effects too. It does not have suicidal thoughts as part of its listed side effects (unlike depressingly many ADs), even in initial phases.

As Sarah says, you may need a bit to get to the best dose, but from what it sounds, it could help you a lot. As she says, have a good look through past posts if you don't believe us...

Good luck

I also agree with Sarah and Smiling Albert - don't be afraid and give it a try.

Thank you for your encouraging posts. My anxiety is just so high all the time right now I don't see myself ever getting better! I've set myself a goal to start on Sunday. As I have a family party Saturday and if I do get side effects it will ruin something I have been looking forward too.

Hopefully this will be the right med for me then. I think I worry more as I've never heard of it x

Top tip... take AFTER food..... on an empty stomach the SE's are worse. I was given this drug when I was SO anxious I was is a psych unit. I found the initial SE's tolerable because my anxiety was GONE in just a few days. Within 2 weeks I was up on 400mgs a day... good luck

Sarah

Thanks Sarah Im actually scared I may get admitted as its so bad right now but my doctor must think I'll be ok. Will make sure I eat before hand. I'm really sensitive on meds I got side effects on anti ds with in just a few hours!

Me too....... eventually had to start AD (citalopram) on 1mg a day and gradually build up the dose. Was taken to hospital many many years ago 15 mins after taking Venlafaxine!!! So I know how you are feeling right now. Use the diazepam until you want to start the pregabalin. Really, it works totally differently to AD's.
    Hanshin will explain how it works as he can explain it better than me, he will hopefully be following this thread
    50mgs is a small dose... you will feel a little "drunk" but you will also realise that your anxiety is being beaten.
    This is the BEST med I have ever taken for anxiety!!!!

Sarah

The simple explanation is that pregabalin slows the release of neurotransmitters (chemicals in the brain) that cause agitation / anxiety. This is quite different from antidepressants and benzodiazepines.

Good luck with it, and don't worry too much about side effects. Some people notice a positive effect within a few hours, for others it takes longer. 50 mg is a low dose - some people respond at that level, but you should try up to 150 - 400 mg per day before you can say it's not working.
    Last edited by hanshan; 14-11-14 at 09:06.

Thank you. Yes I'm on 50mg 3 times a day so I'll be having 150mg a day and have to see my doctor in two weekes time to see how it's going.
    Every anti d I've been on I've had to come off before the 2week mark so hopefully this IS the tablet for me. X

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information