Thread: Mitt and raised Cholesterol levels

Mitt and raised Cholesterol levels

I have been on 15mg Mirt now for 6 months and my anxiety, OCD and depression have all improved. My insomnia has all but gone which is the result that I am most grateful for from this drug.
    I take a statin for cholesterol control and my triglycerides were slightly high before starting Mirt.
    I have a phobia about heart disease and I know that I am due for blood tests this month.
    Had anyone here been on Mirt and not had any elevation of Cholesterol/triglycerides?
    I would appreciate any input
    Thank you

Re: Mitt and raised Cholesterol levels

Unfortunately, I just had my annual check-up, and my cholesterol is higher than it should be (but about 10% lower than last year). I wasn't actually thinking that it was caused by mirtazapine, and was hoping to reduce it by losing more weight and diet/exercise.

Thanks for replying , I understand that this question will not be an easy one to answer. I am having my bloods done nest week so will see what that shows .
    How long have you been in mitt can I ask, and do you take statins for high cholesterol?
    Seriously, thanks so much for taking the time to answer.
    Xxxxx

Hi Valleybear,

I have to say that I've been taking mirtazapine since about 2005 - I can't remember exactly when I started, but it was a very difficult period in my life. As things are much better now, I might consider whether I need it, but I do know that anxiety reappears as soon as I miss a dose.

I'm not taking any statins, but I am taking medication for blood pressure (amlodipine). If I can get my cholesterol down about another 10%, it will be in the top part of the normal range. My current BMI is right on 25. I'm hoping that if I can get my weight down to BMI 23 or lower, other problems like blood pressure and cholesterol will take care of themselves.

Good luck with the blood test, but remember that there is almost always one value that seems way out for no discernible reason (and back to normal in the next test).

Thread Information