Thread: worried to take venlafaxine

worried to take venlafaxine

hi . I have been prescribed Rodemel xl venlafaxine 75mg. One a day. On reading the side effects it says it increases thoughts of suicide. Well I already have these so isn't it dangerous if I take them?. I want to get better not worse . Thanks for any replys x

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

Re: worried to take venlafaxine

Did you tell your doctor about having thoughts of suicide? All antidepressants can sometimes increase these thoughts so it's best to mention it. Good luck.

Never Surrender, Comrade

Have you tried other anti depressants before?, if you have and others haven't worked then maybe you have to try this one. However if you can, maybe ask the doctor to try you on another one first as it does give a lot of side effects and problems when trying to come off it.

Good points. And they pretty much ALL have the black box warning. And yes, your doctor needs to know of your history, and it is imperative that you see a doctor (at hospital if necessary) immediately if you are having thoughts of self-harm. Notable times to self-monitor your thoughts and work closely with your doctor include: start-up, dose increases or decreases, and when tapering off or changing anti-depressants.

And it's true, venlaxafine is not appropriate if your treatment is likely to be short in duration because in comparison to some others, there is more difficulty with unpleasant side effects when the time comes to withdraw. For myself, the start-up side effects, while not pleasant, were worth the benefits so far. For some, they don't experience much of anything for s/e. For others, s/e are intolerable and for whatever reason do not subside over time. And then there are the tough withdrawal side effects to be faced. I was not started on ven until the SSRIs proved unsatisfactory first. As well, it is not likely that I will need to stop taking it, so for me it has been worth the trial.
    Good luck with your decision!
    Marie

Don't take Effexor. Please! The withdrawel is HELL! There are plenty of other options. Effexor=evil

I took Venlafaxine for the first time when I was 14 after citalopram, sertraline, fluoxatine, and cymbalta all failed. Before all of them I was on Seroxat until all those warnings came out for it. I had two periods where I could come off it for six months before relapsing but the withdrawal affects everyone differently! Cody you had a bad experience. I get the shakes and brain zaps when I come off it but it's bearable. For me the start up and dosage increases are awful but more than worth it for the peace I feel when I'm used to it. People react differently to it and you might be fine

But yes, talk to your doctor before you take it if you are having those thoughts. Also is there someone who can keep an eye on you for the first two weeks or so? I'm just starting ven again and my partner is watching me like a hawk for mood changes.
    Last edited by SpecialAgentSara; 30-07-15 at 10:56.

Thread Information