Thread: Night-time panic attacks

Night-time panic attacks

Hi everyone

Don't really understand what's going on here. I had the most dreadful sleep problems for almost 3 months - no more than 2 maybe 3 hours sleep a night, even with Zimovane. Although I dreaded christmas and the new year (everyone who read my posts will know why), it wasn't too bad. Different to every christmas and new year we've ever had, but we coped. In fact for almost 2 weeks my sleep significantly improved!!

Can't think why, but for the last 3 nights I've had a disturbed sleep pattern emerging again - I woke up at 4 am, then 4.15 and this morning 4.25. The first night I managed to get back to sleep; the second night I dozed, but could really feel the effects of the lack of sleep as the day wore on. This morning I couldn't get back to sleep at all; my eyes are bloodshot, I feel absolutely shattered and I can feel the teariness and waves of negativity washing around me.

I know I've got to try not to blow it all out of proportion - I don't want worrying about not getting sleep actually becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. I don't understand why, when life is a bit more bearable than it has been for some time, this sleep thing is happening again. But readers of my previous posts will know the effects lack of sleep had on me - I really did feel like giving up on everything on more than one occasion, I just wanted to put my head on the pillow and SLEEP.

I'm on propanalol - 3 x 40 mg a day. When I don't feel I need them, I don't take them - yesterday I only had 2 tablets, one at 7 am and the other at 11. pm. On bad days I have taken 4 tablets. The last 3 mornings when I have woken, I have been jittery - this morning the butterflies had moved from my tummy to my chest. I just tell the pains to go away, do a couple of stretches, and it has helped me relax enough to get back to sleep or doze. But not this morning. I'm wondering if the smaller amounts of propanalol (when I ease off the tablets), mean that there is insufficient in my bloodstream to take me thru the night?

Anybody any thoughts or suggestions?

I didn't have time yesterday to listen to my hypnosis downloads, but hopefully will remedy that today. Maybe they will help.

Sandie

Hi Sandie,

I can only suggest you hurry the doctor along for a therapy referral (whether it be CBT or counselling, or a mix of both). Maybe it would be an idea to keep a sleep diary and show it to the doctor so he will be aware of just how bad it is.

I think the insomnia is a secondary effect of your anxiety and low mood. If the anxiety and the mood can be treated then hopefully the insomnia would disappear. Sleep problems are common with beta blockers (disturbed sleep is listed on propranolol as a side effect).

If I ever have trouble sleeping, I get up after half an hour or so and sit in the kitchen or the living room - then go back to bed if I start to feel sleepy. Do you read a lot? I need to read for a short while in bed, it helps me get to sleep - and if it is a really good book, I find it makes me even more sleepy because I WANT to stay awake and read more (must be a psychological thing lol).

Nel xxx

Hi Sandie,
    I wake up a lot throughout the night and have trouble going back to sleep. I find it is ok when I don't have to wake up for work, but when I know I have to get up early I just can't sleep. I try to take a bath, listen to breathing CD's and just relax before bed. It helps me to fall asleep, but not stay asleep all night. I am still working on that. I just wanted you to know you are not alone.
    Take care,
    Michelle

Hi Sandie,

Not sure if you have seen these posts, but they may help

Sleep help
    Sleep zzzzz
    insomnia, insomnia, insomnia etc....
    Sleep problems
    HELP! Problems with sleeping.

Love

Andrea
    xxxx

"If you have a worry turn it into a problem, you cant solve worrys but you can solve problems"

Try these....

Night panic
    Nothing like a panic attack at 3:30 am
    Sudden nighttime attacks
    Waking Up With A Panic Attack In The Night
    Bad Morning !!!!!!!!!!!
    Panic attacks during sleep.
    It's Back!
    Waking Startled at Night
    Panic Attacks....During Sleep
    panic attack in sleep

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Hi everyone and thanks for your replies.

I've tried all the usual suggested remedes etc. I never have a problem getting to sleep, its an issue when I wake up and can't get back to sleep - particularly if its only after 3 or 4 hours sleep.

What I don't understand is that I've actually been sleeping quite well for the last couple of weeks and I thought I was sorting the issue out. It's only been the last 4 nights that have been a problem. Last night hubby woke me a little after one, he came back to bed after 30 mins and it didn't disturb me too much, but when he got up again at 3 then that was my night effectively finished.

The problem is that because my general mood is so low (I am very anxious about so many things), I'm finding it difficult to cope at the best of times. When I'm having so very little sleep, it makes it 10 times worse and I really struggle to get thru the day. Those of you who read my posts on the run up to christmas will recall I just wanted it all to end I felt so tired.

I'm trying very hard to be positive and I'm going to listen to my hypnosis downloads today - at a time when I'm feeling sleep and can just lie down on the sofa. Hopefully they will help.

Thanks for your concern veryone.

Sandie

Sandie

The best cure for sleep problems is exercise - that really helps.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Thread Information