Thread: Feel Like a Failure

Feel Like a Failure

I am a teacher and today my head teacher came to me to say a parent has asked why the homework I gave out is different to the work they are doing in class. I explained that it is something that they have done in the past but they need extra revision at - concepts need continuously reinforced (I teach maths). So it was a minor query but has left me so upset at myself thinking I can't do this job, why can't i do anything right. These pupils deserve better than me.

I am going through a rough patch at the moment and struggling every day. Work has been a distraction mainly but I'm starting to find that even the smallest thing going wrong is sending me into a downward spiral. I've never taken more than a day off but I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with the pressure (even if it is all in my head).

Re: Feel Like a Failure

Awwwwww Wabbit am so sorry that you are struggling. Try and hang on in there and hopefully when you see psych soon they will be able to offer you some more help. Think we all get more sensitive when we are struggling.

sending you some
    Sorry I cant offer any more help.

It sounds to me like you know what youre doing. Have belief in yourself and your ability and do what you believe is right.

Its understandable why a parent may question school stuff. Theyre on the outside looking in and are bound to question stuff occasionally. It goes with the territory. But youve just proved that it was a well thought out decision.

Show you belong in that job by showing your ability to have thick skin to it.
    Imagine a young inexperienced teacher buckling in this situation and imagine what advice you`d give them.

All of this stuff will make you a very competent, experienced teacher in the future.

I totally agree with Oosh. You clearly know what you are doing, and care about the kids you teach. With this thing of ours, it's often hard to hear people criticising or even (as here) questioning. I have had this for a while- my boss micromanages me, over-analyses and questions most of what I do. What I have realised is that he does this to everybody, and is well-known for it in the organisation! I am actually good at what I do, and have been told it. Sure you have too. Hang on to that...

Thanks. I know deep down that it wasn't a bad decision but I'm worried it wasn't the best. I always encourage parents to approach me with issues as they can give me insight into how their child is doing that I can't always get from their classwork.

I'm just worried that if anything else happens I'm not going to cope while I am in this mindset.

Ah wabbit,

Obviously you're just an anonymous person on the internet to me - but you also sound like a really good teacher - caring and responsible, and approachable to the parents.

I know this can be tough if you are in a rough patch - but please have confidence in your decisions. Your heart seems good from what you have written here so your instincts will be too, I expect.

Does your headteacher know about your rough patch? Would telling him/her in confidence help? Or a union rep?

Yes, my HT does know and he is very understanding. I am lucky there.

Thread Information