Thread: Tapering off too fast - help!

Tapering off too fast - help!

With the help of my doctor, I decided to switch from citalopram to venlafaxine (Effexor), which is supposed to have fewer side effects. We decided that I would taper off fast, to decrease the amount of time I would experience withdrawal effects. We agreed on 5mg every 2 days, so went down to 15mg, then two days later 10mg, etc.

Well as I hit 5mg it occurred to me that I might want to try going off meds completely. I haven't experienced much in the way of withdrawal symptoms so far. I figured I'd try for a few weeks and if I couldn't handle it, I'd go onto the venlafaxine.

I finally started researching citalopram withdrawal today, and discovered that everybody's screaming "DON'T TAPER OFF TOO FAST!!" They're talking MONTHS to get off the meds, and here I am taking a little over a week.

So what should I do? Should I go back up to 20mg and then taper off more slowly? Today was my first day on 0. I'm worried that the withdrawal will last longer because I went down too quickly. Advice?

Additional info: I started taking SSRIs at age 11 (paroxetine), then switched onto citalopram about 7 years ago. I'm now 31. My only other experience being off meds was a few years ago, I tried to go off citalopram for 2 months and was anxious the whole time (but I was still taking Zyban - bupropion).

Re: Tapering off too fast - help!

Quote Originally Posted by SSRINoMore View Post
    With the help of my doctor, I decided to switch from citalopram to venlafaxine (Effexor), which is supposed to have fewer side effects. We decided that I would taper off fast, to decrease the amount of time I would experience withdrawal effects. We agreed on 5mg every 2 days, so went down to 15mg, then two days later 10mg, etc.

Well as I hit 5mg it occurred to me that I might want to try going off meds completely. I haven't experienced much in the way of withdrawal symptoms so far. I figured I'd try for a few weeks and if I couldn't handle it, I'd go onto the venlafaxine.

I finally started researching citalopram withdrawal today, and discovered that everybody's screaming "DON'T TAPER OFF TOO FAST!!" They're talking MONTHS to get off the meds, and here I am taking a little over a week.

So what should I do? Should I go back up to 20mg and then taper off more slowly? Today was my first day on 0. I'm worried that the withdrawal will last longer because I went down too quickly. Advice?
    10% per month is the recommended rate to taper off ,sometimes slower.Some people get withdrawal some dont its down to how strong you are mentally what dose your on and how long for.I came off sert in about 2 months ,no brain zaps no increased anxiety nothing,its ultimately your choice how you do it.If i did it again i think would go the slower option just to be safe

Yikes that's slow. I don't feel I have the patience for that! I'm at 0 now, so should I slowly go back up?

Quote Originally Posted by SSRINoMore View Post
    Yikes that's slow. I don't feel I have the patience for that! I'm at 0 now, so should I slowly go back up?
    it all depends on how you feel,only you can answer that

I dunno, I'm a bit scared. I'm talking to my doc on Monday. But she has to liaise with the psych (if I see him myself it's very expensive), so will take a while to get advice. Thanks for your help

If done correctly there is NO withdrawal effects at all.

Under my psychiatrist direction, I dropped the celexa dose every 4 days or so until I was at the start dose of 20 mg. Then I started Effexor, 37.5 at a time until I was totally off celexa on on Effexor, 150.

It was effortless.

If you are doing fine, you are ok. If you were reducing too fat, believe me, you would know about it!

I tapered off from 20mg to 10mg for 2 weeks, then off completely. I didn't experience too much, some head zaps at dropping completely and some light-headedness or cotton wool heads when reducing each dose. About 10 days after the 0, I had no further side effects.

It wasn't hard but its largely because your anxiety is much more under control I believe because people who are struggling with high levels of anxiety tend to suffer coming off in a way more closely to when we normally start on them.

It could allso be due to a good diet as well because if you are getting what your body needs, you won't be fighting the various deficiences that cause a lot of our symptoms in general.

Good luck!

Thread Information