Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to SSRI Cipralex. Never used antidepressants before.advice please

New to SSRI Cipralex. Never used antidepressants before.advice please

Hi everyone

My therapist prescribed Cipralex for me yesterday. I totally feel like I am in the twilight zone. I am not really sure how I am feeling to be honest.
    I will be using 10mg for 2 weeks then 20mg for 2 weeks.

I took my first pill yesterday felt a bit dizzy and out of sorts with broken sleep. Took my second pill this morning did some tapping and felt ok. But at the moment my mind feels clouded and I am not sure if I will be able to drive. My daughter has a swimming gala at school this morning but I just can't get myself to the shower I feel stuck.

I really hope this gets better. Good thing is that I am on maternity leave my baby is 3 months next week and thank God for my nanny. I don't think I would have been able to cope at work feeling like this. It's not a bad feeling but also not a good one. Just weird.

Positive vibes to you all I think it will be fine eventually. Peace love and light

---------- Post added at 10:57 ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 ----------

Still on day 2 just realized that I don't really have an appetite I read one of the side effects is weight gain...maybe that's still coming..early days. I am going to document what I eat just to keep track of that. I just had a baby 3 months ago and I am trying to loose weight.

So far I had a apple, banana and half a avo this morning and I feel pretty full. According to my scale I weigh 61.2kgs.
    Last edited by Nushca; 21-11-14 at 08:26.

Re: New to SSRI Cipralex. Never used antidepressants before.advice please

Hi!

All You said is perfect normal when it comes to SSRI. Most people will get side effects to some extent, but there are some that either doesn't get any or those that get so bad they need to stop the medication.

Whether You are able to drive is up to You, dizziness is really common and will (USUALLY) go away. If You feel unsure don't drive, better safe than sorry.

These side effects usually start to fade or be complitely gone at 2 week mark with this medication which is unusually fast compared to older citalopram for example. For me citalopram worked but had too many annoying side effects so I changed to this newer and more refined version.

Best thing is to remember if/when You feel bad/weird that these are indeed just side effects and will go away or be so minimal after awhile that You don't notice them. Sticking through with the side effects is well worth it though, just need to have willpower to go through them

Thanks for your response that makes me feel more at ease. My hubby got us tickets to the John Legend concert a couple of weeks back and the concert is tomorrow.

I don't want to disappoint him but I don't know if I am able to be around so many people. I will have to see how I feel tomorrow and might have to take my pill after we come back and not in the morning.

Update on day 3 and 4

I am experiencing insomnia and I feel tired but somehow still get through the day.

Day 3 was actually a good day not taking the lack of sleep into account. I actually managed to go to the concert and had a blast. I also managed to go out afterwards with hubby and some of his friends who was in town for the concert. No alcohol lots of conversation and only got home at 2am this morning. Up again at 7h30 and even managed to cook lol.

I must say I feel a bit calmer but still have the axious worried feeling from time to time. Nothing intense though.

Appetite still low. I decided not to focus and stress about the material I read so far on side effects. This is my journey I am just going to take it as it comes and make the best of it.

Anywhoo I am off to try and nap who knows I might just fall asleep ��. Peace, love and light
    Last edited by Nushca; 27-11-14 at 09:57.

Hi,

All of your side effects when starting Cipralex are absolutely normal.

I've been on and off it for 10 years now, and once you get over the initial starting effects, in my opinion, it is a great SSRI drug.

The two main symptoms that I had physically were nausea/lack of appetite and sleepiness. I felt so, so drowsy.....but these symptoms did not last, I promise you.

Mentally, I did struggle a bit. Typically, the meds cause you to feel worse at first, and then you feel better. I had an increase in my anxiety, felt kind of spaced out and had just an underlying feeling of being jittery and nervous.

You sound like you are doing all of the right things, and have a really positive attitude. Going to the concert was a great achievement, as starting meds is not easy, but keeping busy and around other people is the absolute best thing to do, as it helps divert the brain from all of the horrible feelings and sensations that can come with them.

I agree with Jubnut. The thing to bear in mind is that this is not forever, and just a bridge to cross to feeling way better than you have done. Give it 2-3 weeks (although everyone is different) but whatever the case, you will see a decrease in time.

Day 5 and 6

Thanks for your feedback Debs71 I must say the past 2 days drowsiness and sleepiness is definitely coming on strong. I got myself herbal sleeping pills over the counter at the chemist on Sunday because I was just to tired and really needed the sleep.

Needless to say I was sleeping like a baby on Sunday evening not even waking up once. Monday morning I felt super drowsy got kids to school and pretty much slept whole of Monday during the day till school was out. Monday evening I was in bed early again and decided not to take a sleeping pill. Seems I did not need any sleeping aid as I slept through till 10h30am Tuesday morning.

I am feeling rested. Emotionally I am rather relaxed nothing major the odd anxious feeling from time to time but I am handling it. Also feeling a bit demotivated. I have not been to gym so far this week, just not in the mood. I have also not been to AA meeting since I started using these pills last week. I am however in contact with my sponsor on text.

Still low appetite.

Remaining positive. I believe I am taking a step in the right direction. A pity that mental health is so under rated some times compared to our physical health.

Love and light.
    Last edited by Nushca; 27-11-14 at 09:59.

Day 7 and 8

So far so good easing into the effects. Yesterday I was super tired because of lack of sleep but I was knocked out cold after taking my pill yesterday morning.

Pretty much slept the morning away and lounged the whole day. I actually allowed my kids to play dress up in my heels and jewelry yesterday which is a big No No other times. I must say I am way more relaxed.

I went to therapy this morning and my psychotherapist thinks I need a mild tranquilizer and sleeping aid to take off the edge and to deal with the side effect. I made an appointment for next week Wednesday to get a perscription. I kinda feel I want to push through and try handle this. So next week I will be on week 2 of these pills. Mind over matter!

I am happy that I am dealing with my past issues in therapy and realizing how it affects my life now. Upwards and onwards. There is no way I want to stay in this dark place of my life. I want to get better and enjoy my life without alcohol and drugs. There must be more to life.

Peace,love and light to you all. All suffering is temporary

Day 9 and 10

I must say I am feeling good. Content, focused still a bit anxious but it's bearable.
    I am coping, less stressed feel more in control of what's need to do.

It's Saturday, it's summer here in South Africa so it's a beautiful day. I am off with hubby and kids to watch my 4 year olds swimming demonstration. I am excited to gear up for our December holiday at the coast. In exactly 2 weeks time we are jetting out of here.
    I have lost 2kgs so far which is refreshing. I am still finding it difficult to sleep but I am seeing my Doc on Wednesday to get a sleeping aid.

So far so good up ward and onward!

Well now everyone 4 days have passed this is officially 2 weeks later. My only complaint at this stage is increased anxiousness. Other than that I am good. My doc advised me to stay on 10mg for the rest of the month before increasing to 20mg. I find myself compromising a lot more then I used to. Before it was my way or no way and a sulking session.

I am also much more relaxed with the kids. I would never have them play with my jewelry or shoes. Usually I have a whole ranting session about messing the room up and having everything in is place. But I have noticed that I am much more relaxed about the kids...well being kids. Not quite sure what all my fuss is about.

I hate this worried feeling though. Especially because I don't really have anything to be worried about.

I am now also using melatonin in the evening and it works like a charm for sleeping. My doc mentioned that I should get 5HTP which I have but I read that it should not be used with SSRI's but my doc seems to think it's fine. Still a bit a skeptical though

Sunday the 7th of Dec and day 18 on 10mg of Cipralex. I am definitely feeling much better mentally and physically. Today my 8year old dropped my iPad and the screen cracked, the poor child was in tears by the time she had the courage to come tell me what had happened. "mommy please dont shout at me I am so sorry" a month ago I would have freaked out completely but today was different. The iPad broke I have insurance on the stupid thing and can fix it. My child however is being damaged by my eratic behavior the problem here is obvious. I have never been this calm in a while. I told her that she should calm down and that it was a accident. My hubby was in shock lol even my kids and I was blown away by my reaction.

I have come to the realization that the anger and pain I am holding onto fromu childhood is now poisoning my children's existence. Why do I shout and scream at them when being gentle had a much more effective outcome.

The thing with these pills are that you have to get your mindset right. The pills can only work if you decide to take positive actions.

Yesterday it was one month alcohol free. So here's to many more months of honesty and no more bullshitting. I am definitely not going to fool myself anymore. I quite like my level of awareness right now. I am aware of what I alm feeling why i am feeling it and what I need to do to work with these feelings. It's not easy but it's kinda worth it.

Much Love

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information