Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birth control pill and anxiety and depression

Birth control pill and anxiety and depression

im just wondering if anyone else has found a link between the bcp and depression/anxiety?

In August 2012 after I got married I was due on during my honeymoon. I continued taking the pill (two packs back to back) which made me feel very sick. I then panicked and stopped eating and it ruined our honeymoon. Because of this and the fact that I often feel sick at the beginning of my period I decided to have the IUD put in. At the beginning of sept I had it put in. This went horribly and I had it out within two days. I then stared mercilon again. What followed was a 'nausea' bug, daily panic attacks (especially in the morning), flu like symptoms every day and depression. This went on for two months. At the end of it I upped my citalopram to 30mg but I'm not sure of it was that that helped or the fact my body had got used to the hormones

This year my dh and I decided to try for a baby and I came off the pill and weaned off citalopram. I got down as low as 5mg every other day. On the second half of my cycle I found I felt extremely sick and actually thought I was pregnant. In sept I also had extremely bad pain that my dh took me to A&e with. We decided I wasn't ready and so at the beginning of October I went back on the pill (Mercilon). I then had a flu like bug. Followed by lots of nausea. Then my last period I started panicking and losing my appetite the week before my period and it continued during it. I had severe panic attacks and was very nauseous. In fact on the Friday I came on I was off sick as I felt like I had the flu. I then came on and felt stupid! But the following week the nausea got strong and I was off sick again. Oh I had also just upped my cit to 15mg (I didn't really get side effects from upping when I went to 30mg two years ago but I know hightenwd anxiety is a side effect).

Last week my anxiety got the best of me when I went to London on Tuesday. I didn't eat that day and I felt very sick the next three days. On the Thursday I took the day off sick and upped my cit to 20mg. Therefore it can't have been that causing the symptoms as I only upped it as I was putting off doing it in case it made me feel sick and I already did.

This week I have lost my appetite and keep getting panic attacks in the morning and feeling flu like. I put it down the hightened anxiety from the cit but I also stopped taking my bcp on Wednesday for my weeks break. So I am starting to wonder if it is more likely that causing these issues and that is why the cit isn't working yet?

Anyone else experiences this?

Re: Birth control pill and anxiety and depression

I wondered about this myself as I feel my anxiety has gotten worse since starting bcp a year ago. however, I have always been anxious about birth control, its failures and also its side effects.

I think for women who have anxiety, contraception and issues around it is probably very triggering. And they do admit bcp can cause mood shifts- which must include anxious moods.

I stopped taking Cerazette last week after a month, because out of the blue, I started getting horrible waves of depression and mood swings. I'm pretty sure it caused anxiety too - I was fine and actually happier than I had been in ages before I started it, and then the anxiety started to creep in.
    Since stopping, I've felt much better.

Sounds like it is then. Trouble is my own hormones make me terribly ill with pms!! Which of course brings anxiety too! I can't win!

Have you tried any natural supplements?
    I'm taking starflower oil and magnesium, plus vitamin D and various B vitamins. I've started taking high dose cod liver oil and omega 3 fish oil today.

Might be worth doing some research into herbs and supplements that help PMT.

I started a vit b complex today. Hoping that will help. Got magnesium but I read somewhere it can cause constipation and I suffer with that with my ibs. I also read ssri's help so hoping when my cit is back in my system that will help!

I get terrible nausea as well with my pms. Do any of those supplements help with that?

Quote Originally Posted by jennielouises View Post
    I started a vit b complex today. Hoping that will help. Got magnesium but I read somewhere it can cause constipation and I suffer with that with my ibs. I also read ssri's help so hoping when my cit is back in my system that will help!

I get terrible nausea as well with my pms. Do any of those supplements help with that?
    Magnesium can help constipation,not cause it - in fact, the tablets I took caused diarrhoea, so now I'm using a magnesium oil spray.
    I would guess that the nausea is caused by hormones, so if you can balance them with supplements, the nausea should go too.

I hope so! The nausea is what has caused this flare in my anxiety as I'm emetophobic so anything to help that would be good. Mind you, I've heard your body should adjust to the pill within three months and I've just finished my second so hopefully should get better soon!

---------- Post added 23-11-14 at 00:22 ---------- Previous post was 22-11-14 at 23:36 ----------

Where did you get the oil spray?

The oil spray was from Tesco, but Amazon sell the same one for less.
    However, you could try magnesium tablets if you suffer from constipation.

The mirena coil made me feel very poorly, anxious-wise but I have really terrible periods so after a few months the gynaecologist prescribed the pill called Qlaira, despite both him and my GP stating that I appear to be progesterone intolerant. After nearly two months on Qlaira the anxiety symptoms returned again. I stopped taking it three days ago and am now just playing the waiting game to feel better again. I feel horrible; jittery, fluttery chest and weepy and awful. I could just cry and cry. Has anyone else experienced this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information