Thread: Ibs d triggered anxiety/panics

Ibs d triggered anxiety/panics

Feeling fed up. Serious food poisioning set it all off in summer and still can't eat everything. So triggered anxiety attacks due to needing loo or worrying about accidents etc.
    Back on citalopram 5 to 10 mg, 4 days on feel crap.
    Advice welcomed. 😔

Re: Ibs d triggered anxiety/panics

Bonkersbob I noticed no-one had replied, which I know is awful

I know the feeling with Citalopram. I tried it but couldn't cope with the side effects - especially as they are very similar to what was causing the anxiety in the first place!

If your main concern is how you are feeling with the Citalopram, you may be better off reading the thread that is dedicated to people taking this medication. You will notice that most people say they start to feel worse before getting better. It seems that it passes after a few days and you should start to feel better after a few weeks.

Also, this may not be for you but my GP prescribed me a small dose of Diazepam once when I was severely anxious. It takes effect immediately and was used to tide me over until the Citalopram worked.

But if it's the stomach problems that are worrying you, why not ask your GP to do some basic tests to rule out anything nasty? Food poisoning can lead to IBS symptoms for some time after - the stress and worry only add to it. It's a bit of a vicious circle, I've found.

My journey on Citalopram was rough to start with - the side effects were bad for a few weeks.
    10mg was described to me as a sub therapeutic dose by my GP, so it may be you will need to up your dose in a short while.

As for IBS, can you take Immodium for the times you worry about being able to access a loo rapidly?
    Try to cut out caffeine, alcohol, fizzy drinks etc. Drink plenty of water, peppermint tea, take probiotics and find a way to relax - maybe a few drops of lavender oil in your bath at night, or on your pillow.

Thanks both for your replies, doc did give some diazepam tabs for the bad days, just 2mg, trying to not use but May gave to.
    Everything is apparently clear now of campylobacter. Some days good others bad, so yes Imodium is never not far away.
    I know it takes a while to settle on cit. hopefully soon.ay go from 5 to 10mg tonight.

Thanks for replies

Thread Information