Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health anxiety regarding lymph nodes...

Thumbs down Health anxiety regarding lymph nodes...

Hey everyone,

I noticed about a week ago my lymph nodes are swollen, they do NOT hurt at all. I also have noticed my feet swelling up, I have a bruise underneath my right breast, and I have found my knees are achey and both have bruises on them. My gums have been bleeding when I have brushed my teeth.., Im not entirely sure if its gingivitis that is causing all this or what... I went to emerg last night and got blood work done- he ruled out mono, leukemia.(my blood count was fine) I want to safely assume he would have ruled out lymphoma but I know that is a 15 percent chance in the back of my mind. I am overweight,22, have asthma and I recently started a birth control 2 weeks go and have been noticing all this since.

I guess what Im asking is if I should go back tonight and mention the bruising... or fill my prescription which he wrote off as a sinus infection. He said to come back if it doesnt help and we can look further into it. The doctor has also not called me back regarding bloodwork about my thyroid, I called back and asked and they said if I've heard nothing then it's fine... I am trying hard not to let this get to me or my anxiety but it is hard and I've literally been on google all day. Worst decision. Should I get a second opinion?

Re: Health anxiety regarding lymph nodes...

Lymph nodes, depending on where they are, may take some time to reduce in size after they are enlarge due to an infection. I had one enlarged lymph node in my occipital area which took about 3 weeks to subside.

Could the bruises on your knees be due to some physical activity that you have done recently ? I sometimes panick over unknown bruises only to realise that I've got them from playing with my hyperactive kids!

Welllll I don't have kids and I'm pretty lazy which is why im worried but im trying not to overthink anything :( or google for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by btrace View Post
    Hey everyone,

I noticed about a week ago my lymph nodes are swollen, they do NOT hurt at all. I also have noticed my feet swelling up, I have a bruise underneath my right breast, and I have found my knees are achey and both have bruises on them. My gums have been bleeding when I have brushed my teeth.., Im not entirely sure if its gingivitis that is causing all this or what... I went to emerg last night and got blood work done- he ruled out mono, leukemia.(my blood count was fine) I want to safely assume he would have ruled out lymphoma but I know that is a 15 percent chance in the back of my mind. I am overweight,22, have asthma and I recently started a birth control 2 weeks go and have been noticing all this since.

I guess what Im asking is if I should go back tonight and mention the bruising... or fill my prescription which he wrote off as a sinus infection. He said to come back if it doesnt help and we can look further into it. The doctor has also not called me back regarding bloodwork about my thyroid, I called back and asked and they said if I've heard nothing then it's fine... I am trying hard not to let this get to me or my anxiety but it is hard and I've literally been on google all day. Worst decision. Should I get a second opinion?
    A 15% chance? Where did you get that figure from??

Where are the nodes? Mine have been up in my groin for the past 2 months. Have seen so many doctors about it. My blood work is fine. All docs have told me to not be concerned. I am a persistent devil though, and demanded an ultrasound. That is tomorrow! So I will let you know how mine goes, and eventually ,what they find.

I'm sure if you had lymphoma you would be experiencing some other abnormal symptoms. Although, get active and go to the gym, take up a sport or something. Lazing about all day is only going to make your anxiety worse.

Quote Originally Posted by eeesh View Post
    A 15% chance? Where did you get that figure from??

Where are the nodes? Mine have been up in my groin for the past 2 months. Have seen so many doctors about it. My blood work is fine. All docs have told me to not be concerned. I am a persistent devil though, and demanded an ultrasound. That is tomorrow! So I will let you know how mine goes, and eventually ,what they find.

I'm sure if you had lymphoma you would be experiencing some other abnormal symptoms. Although, get active and go to the gym, take up a sport or something. Lazing about all day is only going to make your anxiety worse.
    Lol google. I know, not very reliable.

They're in my neck :( And I hope everything goes well for you!! keep me posted.

Truth. I work full time and whatever but I am definitely lacking fitness, I will see how the antibiotics work on me and keep a close eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by btrace View Post
    Lol google. I know, not very reliable.

They're in my neck :( And I hope everything goes well for you!! keep me posted.

Truth. I work full time and whatever but I am definitely lacking fitness, I will see how the antibiotics work on me and keep a close eye on it.
    Swollen nodes are extremely common, man. There's easily at least one post about it every other day here. I get the swollen in my neck everytime I get a mild virus, and it's been like that since the age of like 7.

Obviously I'm an anxious sod as well, hence being here, and they are bothering me, hence the ultrasound. But:

In the past 2 months I have been to the doctors 7 times, seeing 3 separate physicians. Each have assured me nothing is wrong. I've had so many needles in my arm for blood samples it's unreal.

But I'm still worried. I'm hoping that once this ultrasound has come back fine, or not fine, I can move forward and be proactive about whatever needs doing, be it mental or physical.

I would advise you to try and forget about it. You're 22, as am I. We do not have lymphoma.

Quote Originally Posted by eeesh View Post
    Swollen nodes are extremely common, man. There's easily at least one post about it every other day here. I get the swollen in my neck everytime I get a mild virus, and it's been like that since the age of like 7.

Obviously I'm an anxious sod as well, hence being here, and they are bothering me, hence the ultrasound. But:

In the past 2 months I have been to the doctors 7 times, seeing 3 separate physicians. Each have assured me nothing is wrong. I've had so many needles in my arm for blood samples it's unreal.

But I'm still worried. I'm hoping that once this ultrasound has come back fine, or not fine, I can move forward and be proactive about whatever needs doing, be it mental or physical.

I would advise you to try and forget about it. You're 22, as am I. We do not have lymphoma.
    Honestly I've never really noticed if mine have before? I just noticed other physical things and realized how swollen my nodes are=/

The bloodwork I got done gave me a bit of peace of mind..but yeah... wishing nothing but the best for for you

Cheers to that.

The ER doc gave you the once over I assume (checking everywhere, palpating, etc) and felt the nodes?

Swollen nodes feel different than lymphoma. I know because I've had Hodgkins lymphoma.

Quote Originally Posted by Canbud View Post
    The ER doc gave you the once over I assume (checking everywhere, palpating, etc) and felt the nodes?

Swollen nodes feel different than lymphoma. I know because I've had Hodgkins lymphoma.

He checked my nodes a couple times but no where else and didn't seem too concerned about my other symptoms .. He was assuming mono to begin with which turned out to be negative and then wrote it off as a sinus infection which I am crazy stuffed up now, developed a bit of a cough and a headache. I started my antibiotics but I'm really debating on going back tomorrow just freaked out by these bruises and side pains :(

Canbud, how are they different?
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information