Thread: just started cipralex side effects. Help!

just started cipralex side effects. Help!

Hi everyone
    I'm desperately looking for some advice from those of you who have had experience of cipralex(escitalopram)
    I have had severe panic disorder with agoraphobia for a really long time and recently saw a psychiatrist who has prescribed me escitalopram. I have started on 5mg and despite taking them for just a few days I'm having really awful side effects.
    I feel absolutely sick to my stomach - and being severely terrified of being sick (i am emetophobic) this is making me a million times more panicky . I've also had diahorrea, very bad headaches, dizziness,exhaustion, cold sweats and my legs are constantly jiggling and it feels like I'm having electric shock pins in my whole body.
    The other scary thing is I've been having thoughts I've never had before of suicide and feeling much more depressed than I think I've ever felt. I have previously felt desperate and having no clue what to do but the last few days I'm actually thinking about ending it all.

I have been on escitalopram before for over 2 years and experirnced far fewer and much less severe symptoms going on them don't know if it's relevant but I'm also on 10mg amitriptyline daily for health reasons (treating a condition) ...is it possible that combining the two could make me feel much worse? As i wasnt taking amitriptyline years ago i was just on the escitalopram

The feeling like being sick is driving me mad as it's my worst fear and is making me want to just disappear.
    I know people have trouble going on and coming off SSRIS but this is really pushing me to my limit.
    Does anyone have any advice or experience to help me? I'm feeling very alone in all this as I haven't got anyone close to me who truly understands.
    Thanks so much for reading - any help is greatly appreciated!!
    Xx

Re: just started cipralex side effects. Help!

Hi

I am no expert myself as I am on Cipralex just over a week now. Have you discussed the side effects with your doctor? Sounds awful. Onset of my effects was bad too but it is starting to get better. Maybe discuss with your doctor and stay active and don't think about it to much. But then again it's hard not to think about it if the side effects are in your face the whole time.

I hope it gets better. Please give more updates.
    Last edited by Nushca; 27-11-14 at 13:14.

Re: just started cipralex side effects. Help!

Stick with it, they will subside and go away. Could take a week or two but once its in your system you'll feel alot better.

Had all the same side effects too.

Thread Information