Thread: Sensation/tightness in throat. Conscious when I swallow

Sensation/tightness in throat. Conscious when I swallow

Can this really be anxiety if it's there all the time? My throat feels tight, like its closing. Thanks x

Re: Sensation/tightness in throat. Conscious when I swallow

I'd say play safe, and get a medical professional to check it out; if they give you the ok (see more than one if you are not certain!), then I would say that it is anxiety. That's what happened when I saw my doctor about a few things (very occasional sensation like I couldn't swallow, and very occasional heart palps). I had an ECG done, BP done, she felt/look at my throat and said that nothing was there - that assurance did wonders, even if it still comes back I can mostly 'think' myself out of it.

Re: Sensation/tightness in throat. Conscious when I swallow

sjr1969-i have had a history of panic attacks and anxiety but the throat thing is new to me and is responsible for my latest bout in a year.

i have been to 2 different doctors who see nothing there, and given that i have told them about anxiety issues in the past they put it down to just that.

like you i pretty much have the sensation of a tight throat that feels slightly swollen and sometimes increasingly tight and swollen. it is there 24/7 with periods of easing and periods that have me reaching for the phone to book another appointment with the doctor or 111 service.

the last few days i have started trying to keep myself hydrated properly as i stopped drinking as much fruit juice a few of months ago but neglected replace it with anything. pretty much around the same time that i started to have this tightening swelling throat sensation. drinking a couple of big glasses of water a day has seemed to help no end!

doctor is your best bet but i wouldnt mention anxiety until they ask first. that way you'll know that they are on the ball and not just waiting for you to show your cards.

let me know what happens : )

Thread Information