Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Christmas and new year survival support group

Re: Christmas and new year survival support group

Yes, it will not be a great time for me, but I knew this was coming, so I booked a week away just after Christmas with my partner and we are going to a big New Years Eve Ball. So, although Christmas will be painful and difficult, I have something to look forward to. That will be my reward.
    Thanks everyone for your kind words, much appreciated. More than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Yes, it will not be a great time for me, but I knew this was coming, so I booked a week away just after Christmas with my partner and we are going to a big New Years Eve Ball. So, although Christmas will be painful and difficult, I have something to look forward to. That will be my reward.
    Thanks everyone for your kind words, much appreciated. More than you think.
    That was exactly what I was saying in my post... something to look forward to! Make it a tradition!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I work in retail and I don't know what my hours will be over Xmas(it only closes xmas day) but retail has ruined it for me and I'm not having much success in finding a new job.

Hi Jen
    Its hard for anyone in retail,I remember doing it myself years ago.
    Hope the hours you get aren't too bad,and fair for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmoon View Post
    Its hard for anyone in retail
    Imagine those who work for the postal service, UPS etc. Those folks bust their (*&^# through the holidays. Even in my line of work (music business - CD/DVD manufacturing), it's crazy this time of year as everyone wants to get their releases out for the holidays. But as the saying goes... "You gotta make hay when the sun is shining".

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I had a house full of family for the two days of Christmas.
    Been doing it for many years.
    I stopped doing it two years ago. I am past it now.
    Why? -because I was at the kitchen sink for most of the two days.
    and the two days before making trifles and baking OH WHAT JOY!!!
    Mostly my husbands relations.
    I would have happily helped out with the soup kitchen for the homeless.
    New year we stop in. or child minding, that's fine with me.
    Will be thinking of you Carnation
    In fact I will be thinking of all of you on NMP xxx
    Last edited by Magic; 08-12-18 at 18:03. Reason: spelling

I work in health and am working right through Christmas this year apart from boxing day off. In a way I am glad of the distraction, I am not keen on Christmas and am usually very glad when it's all over.

I dislike this time of year so much, when it gets dark, before teatime. Normally, I like to go out, late afternoon/early eve, but can't now, unless I get a lift.

The only highlight this Christmas for me, id the fact that I'll be spending Christmas Day, with my Niece for the first time.

The rest of my family will be there too, but I don't cope well, eating in a group.

This Christmas, will be the second year without Mum. Correction - second Christmas, not year.

I have an artificial Christmas Tree but cos I won't be getting many visitors at all, I don't feel in the Christmas mood for getting my place all decorative.

The only thing I like about New Year's eve, is that it's closer to a new year and things I want to achieve.

Next year, I am learning how to drive, so I can't aafford to buy many Presents, which sucks, cos I really enjoying Giving.

For all who will struggle through Christmas.

I always used to work through Xmas because it was quite and I found it easier to get things done as well as there being a nice relaxed attitude at work so I often used to volunteer for any duty manager slots. This was all before my anxiety though, I used to quite enjoy it and when you are a guy in your twenties with no responsibilities...Xmas is mostly about getting taked up anyway!

Thesedays I do not like it much because as someone with OCD, it does cause changes to routines that have become a problem so it ends up being a time of exposure therapy for me in some ways!!! If I'm struggling with low mood, frustration or feelings of being trapped, I tend to get a bit sick of seeing happy people out & about as it tends to act as a mirror to judge myself against.

I just try to do what I can to make my family happy, because I don't really care for Xmas anymore anyway as I don't have any kids to do it for. I'm not religious so just see it as a time for family, getting hammered or buying stuff for people. A lot of it is forced and false anyway, so you have to take your own meaning from it so for me it is solely about making my family happy and keeping my anxieties out of their view so they can enjoy themselves. I always prefer seeing others happy and opening their presents, whereas I don't really care if I get no presents in return...does that make sense?

Hello all.
    For me, some of it is the gluttony around Christmas time. The build up is so over the top. Also the expectation to enjoy it. Also Many people don't even know how Christmas originated or what it's really meant to be about. I am not religious but feel this is part of it as well as its not supposed to be a commercial free for all but that is what it's become. I don't like to see huge amounts of money spent on it all, especially where people get into debt.
    I do remember a couple of Christmases I enjoyed as a child but often it wasn't a happy time. That made me dread it. I have taken on board suggestions from others.... Like having new Christmases now... ones that are more happy and meaningful. building good memories.
    This time of year with the short days and crummy weather is an issue for me.
    I have tried combating that over the years and am trying to do the same this winter.
    Getting outside every day for a bit of exercise, even a gentle walk. That really helps.

Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread Information