Thread: First period after Hysteroscopy 12 days ago

First period after Hysteroscopy 12 days ago

Anyone had a very heavy period a week or two after their hysteroscopy and sample biopsy??

I'm on Day 2 (today, 2nd Dec.) of my first period after my hysteroscopy done on 21st November. Hysteroscopy was pain-free and consultant said all looked good, but he did a sample biopsy just to make sure (that was very painful, but quick, and only very slight bleeding that day). I had the h/scope because I've been having some spotting on and off for a few months, which they think is just the perimenopause. I'm 45.

I have had very heavy bleeding since 2am this morning - more or less changing pads every 90 mins/2 hourly. And when I go to the loo lots of small clots - SORRY if TMI. I will stress that my cycle was long for me (usually about 24 days). This time it was 42 days, which could be why I'm so heavy. But I've skipped odd periods here and there before, and never had a period quite so heavy. Except the one time when I had no period at all for 68 days about two years ago, and I was really heavy for 2 whole days, then it followed the normal pattern.

I did have a pelvic ultrasound on Day 25 and the sonographer said the lining looked just about ready to shed. It was 19mm. But it didn't until just after Day 42. So I guess that's why it's so heavy.

I am waiting on the results of the biopsy, but the consultant didn't seem at all worried. And just suggested the Mirena IUS if things get too much.

Perhaps I'm getting all worked up about nothing. It's just one of those very heavy / flood type ones typical of perimenopause.

Anyone had the same or similar especially following a hysteroscopy and sample biopsy???

Many thanks,
    Natty One

Re: First period after Hysteroscopy 12 days ago

I had very heavy periods during perimenopause and they sometimes lasted 3 weeks :(

I had a hysteroscopy and biopsy last year, and problems re-establishing your cycle afterwards are not unusual. I had mine to have a uterine polyp removed.

I also bled quite heavily afterwards. I was told by the gynaecologist that my period would be a bit off whack/late after the procedure, but in actual fact, MOST unusual for me, it was on time for a change. I am the opposite to you. My cycle is normally around 32-34 days. I have never in my life been either early or on time, but I do have polycystic ovaries which I think is the reason.

I have also had very late periods of 40 plus days, sometimes 50 plus, before I had the hysteroscopy, and have had scans because of this, and like you, I was told that the uterine lining was thick and I would get a period soon, and probably a heavy one, and I did, so it absolutely makes total sense that you are bleeding heavily this time. It is all of the build up in the uterine walls.

My suspicion is that the hysteroscopy has sorted out your uterus, and it is just doing the par for the course thing....late and so heavy post-procedure.

I would not worry at all. I am 43 and have had all kinds of weird things go on period-wise, and nothing sinister, thank God. I would just see how things progress following your next period, and not worry at the moment.

Thank you debs71 and Annie.

Still changing pads every 90mins/2hrs....
    hopefully will settle a bit by end of tomorrow. Using night pads - been using them all day, and got tena lady maxi night ones too. Not really for periods, but read somewhere they really do the job at night. I hope so. Last night up every 2 hrs.

If next period is the same might think about the Mirena, but tbh do not want it... Wish it would all just drop out!

Any more experiences out there????
    Many thanks

I was using super plus tampon with a night time pad and changing every 30 minutes :( The joys of being a woman!
    I have a mirena coil fitted now.

i had months of bleeding, some very heavy, had hysteroscopy and biopsy, onto my 2nd mirena coil now at 47... problems statrted when i was 40... the mirena coil will sort you out, the best thing i ever done.

Thread Information