Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrfied of Tachycardia

Terrfied of Tachycardia

I will start from the beginning, Frankly I think that I have always had tachycardia since I was a child. I noticed my heart pounding after eating and playing outside when I was very small and I would get a headache afterwards but then I thought every one was like that.

Over the years it seemed to come and go..sometimes I noticed it and sometimes I didn't..weird huh? Anyway I have been hospitalized three times in my life with it and been to the doctors office when I was about 20 when my heart was clocked at over 200 bpm. The doctor told me I was anxious gave me a prescription and sent me on my way. I said..wait my heart is beating over 200 beats a minute..He said yeah..it will slow down...just go get the prescription and take it. It was for beta blockers.

At 25 I was working during the day in the heat and then at night I had a second job that I worked into the wee hours of the morning and I was exhausted. During the day I had a very physical job out in the very hot weather and I didn't drink to much water so apparently I got dehydration,

I started blacking out and was rushed to the hospital where they admitted me and did all kinds of test on me and did heart monitoring and scans and everything for about a week or two. They had a cardiologist come in and do a Ecg of my heart and tell me my heart was strong and all the scans and test came back not showing anything except organ shutdown..it dawned on them I had dehydration and was going into major organ shutdown so they rehydrated me and gave me a beta blocker and some librium and released me and gave me a psychiatrist since all this had been traumatic. After I worked through the panic attacks of what I had been through the psychiatrist told me that there was nothing wrong with me and we ended our sessions..

Well over the years I have always had to not eat lunch due to if I ate my heart would be too uncomfortable for me to continue working and so I waiting until afternoon or evening and ate then . I have experienced fast heart rate for all my life off and on...mostly on and it has always slowed down over a course of time but it never stuck at a fast speed.

About three years ago I had strep throat and the doctor which was a new doctor took me off of librium and gave me something else also shot me up with two shots of super steroids which I had already told her i was allergic to and also strong antibiotics and also gave me some other medicines that made my heart beat really fast. Turns out then I was dehydrated too..
    My heart started beating fast and I had to go to the hospital again when it was around 140 or 150..They kept me on the heart floor for a week and did all kinds of test and scans and told me that the medicines were probably the culprit and anxiety..but there again I was dehydrated .The doctor put me on all kinds of blood pressure medicines because they were having problems getting my blood pressure down..not sure of the reason,but anyway they kept me on them with no mention of when i would be able to get off of them.I decided not to go back to the doctors...So I have been taking these medicines all this time..

Which leads me to now.. The doctor told me that the medicines i was taking would keep my heart rate down and protect me from fast heartbeat and I wouldn't have that problem again so I believed him and he was right until about a month ago. I started not being hungry and didn't eat anything or drink anything for a week or two with bad throat.. One night my heart start beating faster and faster and I went to the ER..They said I had tachycardia.. 150 bpm...They got my heart settled down and my white blood counts were up so they admitted me. Well they found I was dehydrated again.. So they kept me for about a week and monitored my heart did many blood test and checked me for everything ..did a Ecg and xray and some other stuff and finally said there was nothing wrong with my heart. They did find I was prediabetic and also rehydrated me too.

Anyway according to the medical records I was admitted with sinus tachycardia but no one ever said that I have permanent tachycardia.. So im worried all the time about getting it again. Im afraid to get my heart rate up for anything and its making me paranoid .I feel like I can't do the things I used to do but the doctors told me to get out and exercise and get my heart rate up. I asked what if it happens again..he said just come back..I wanted to hear that the medicines they up the doses to would protect me so now im stuck being afraid of fast heartbeat sticking and not going back down although that hasn't happened yet ,I still worry that now im limited on what I can do although they never said I had tachycardia they did put on the report i came to the hospital with it..

So do I have a condition tachycardia or was it just one of those times in my life i was dehydrated or was it for other reasons it happened.. Was it because i was just sick with an infection and dehydrated and that is why my heart was beating faster and my panic and anxiety made it go faster and stick or what? I wasn't told I had a heart condition or to do anything especially like not do anything..so where do I go from here. Should I worry or should I do what I used to do and not worry and just make sure im hydrated and not ill or what?

I know I just don't want to get it again. I have to go to the dentist soon and afraid I will get it there. I ask my regular doctor about that and he said oh they are prepared for that in case.. geez.. I don't want to hear that i wanted to hear ,oh you probably wont have that happen.. I also despertaly need to go to the eye doctor and also afraid it will happen there too. I have anxiety and panic attacks and so afraid that one will set off the tachycardia again.. I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't.. Im terrified..I don't want to go through that again..why can't I just get over the fear like I did before knowing my heart will slow down again? So far it has and believe me it has speeded up several times since the hospital but it went back down so am I safe since i wasn't diagnosed with a heart condition or what?

Anybody else have tachycardia and scared of it? Or had it and now afraid? Please tell me?

Re: Terrfied of Tachycardia

Hello?

I can't believe no one commented on my post. I see other post about things like cheating or people posting the same inquiries over and over and people loads of people commenting encouraging others..I feel so damn alone.. just typing to myself..alone ,,,alone at home ,no one that understands ,no one here that cares or understands..just so sad...totally alone..I thought I might have one person out of the 131 people that read this post that could say..hey..I know how you feel or something.. :-(

---------- Post added at 18:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:58 ----------

Doesnt anyone in the gazzillions of lurkers or members here have tachycardia ? Or a fear of it? anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by mnaha View Post
    I will start from the beginning, Frankly I think that I have always had tachycardia since I was a child. I noticed my heart pounding after eating and playing outside when I was very small and I would get a headache afterwards but then I thought every one was like that.

Over the years it seemed to come and go..sometimes I noticed it and sometimes I didn't..weird huh? Anyway I have been hospitalized three times in my life with it and been to the doctors office when I was about 20 when my heart was clocked at over 200 bpm. The doctor told me I was anxious gave me a prescription and sent me on my way. I said..wait my heart is beating over 200 beats a minute..He said yeah..it will slow down...just go get the prescription and take it. It was for beta blockers.

At 25 I was working during the day in the heat and then at night I had a second job that I worked into the wee hours of the morning and I was exhausted. During the day I had a very physical job out in the very hot weather and I didn't drink to much water so apparently I got dehydration,

I started blacking out and was rushed to the hospital where they admitted me and did all kinds of test on me and did heart monitoring and scans and everything for about a week or two. They had a cardiologist come in and do a Ecg of my heart and tell me my heart was strong and all the scans and test came back not showing anything except organ shutdown..it dawned on them I had dehydration and was going into major organ shutdown so they rehydrated me and gave me a beta blocker and some librium and released me and gave me a psychiatrist since all this had been traumatic. After I worked through the panic attacks of what I had been through the psychiatrist told me that there was nothing wrong with me and we ended our sessions..

Well over the years I have always had to not eat lunch due to if I ate my heart would be too uncomfortable for me to continue working and so I waiting until afternoon or evening and ate then . I have experienced fast heart rate for all my life off and on...mostly on and it has always slowed down over a course of time but it never stuck at a fast speed.

About three years ago I had strep throat and the doctor which was a new doctor took me off of librium and gave me something else also shot me up with two shots of super steroids which I had already told her i was allergic to and also strong antibiotics and also gave me some other medicines that made my heart beat really fast. Turns out then I was dehydrated too..
    My heart started beating fast and I had to go to the hospital again when it was around 140 or 150..They kept me on the heart floor for a week and did all kinds of test and scans and told me that the medicines were probably the culprit and anxiety..but there again I was dehydrated .The doctor put me on all kinds of blood pressure medicines because they were having problems getting my blood pressure down..not sure of the reason,but anyway they kept me on them with no mention of when i would be able to get off of them.I decided not to go back to the doctors...So I have been taking these medicines all this time..

Which leads me to now.. The doctor told me that the medicines i was taking would keep my heart rate down and protect me from fast heartbeat and I wouldn't have that problem again so I believed him and he was right until about a month ago. I started not being hungry and didn't eat anything or drink anything for a week or two with bad throat.. One night my heart start beating faster and faster and I went to the ER..They said I had tachycardia.. 150 bpm...They got my heart settled down and my white blood counts were up so they admitted me. Well they found I was dehydrated again.. So they kept me for about a week and monitored my heart did many blood test and checked me for everything ..did a Ecg and xray and some other stuff and finally said there was nothing wrong with my heart. They did find I was prediabetic and also rehydrated me too.

Anyway according to the medical records I was admitted with sinus tachycardia but no one ever said that I have permanent tachycardia.. So im worried all the time about getting it again. Im afraid to get my heart rate up for anything and its making me paranoid .I feel like I can't do the things I used to do but the doctors told me to get out and exercise and get my heart rate up. I asked what if it happens again..he said just come back..I wanted to hear that the medicines they up the doses to would protect me so now im stuck being afraid of fast heartbeat sticking and not going back down although that hasn't happened yet ,I still worry that now im limited on what I can do although they never said I had tachycardia they did put on the report i came to the hospital with it..

So do I have a condition tachycardia or was it just one of those times in my life i was dehydrated or was it for other reasons it happened.. Was it because i was just sick with an infection and dehydrated and that is why my heart was beating faster and my panic and anxiety made it go faster and stick or what? I wasn't told I had a heart condition or to do anything especially like not do anything..so where do I go from here. Should I worry or should I do what I used to do and not worry and just make sure im hydrated and not ill or what?

I know I just don't want to get it again. I have to go to the dentist soon and afraid I will get it there. I ask my regular doctor about that and he said oh they are prepared for that in case.. geez.. I don't want to hear that i wanted to hear ,oh you probably wont have that happen.. I also despertaly need to go to the eye doctor and also afraid it will happen there too. I have anxiety and panic attacks and so afraid that one will set off the tachycardia again.. I feel damned if I do and damned if I don't.. Im terrified..I don't want to go through that again..why can't I just get over the fear like I did before knowing my heart will slow down again? So far it has and believe me it has speeded up several times since the hospital but it went back down so am I safe since i wasn't diagnosed with a heart condition or what?

Anybody else have tachycardia and scared of it? Or had it and now afraid? Please tell me?
    Hello
    I was also told I had Tachacardia (sorry if spelt wrong) when I kept going to hospital with racing heart.
    I Had all the tests, plus a device to wear on my chest to find any problems. there were none.
    Tachycardia is nothing to be concerned about. it is just a term used by medicals to explain a heart beating quite fast. As long as it eventually rests too 90-100 beats a minute they let you go home. Anxiety always raises it as does adrenaline.
    If youve had all the tests, rest assured your heart is fine.
    You mentioned being worried that your heart may get stuck in the fast lane. I was assured that if that happens (rarely, and only if you have a heart problem), it can survive for over 7 hours at 200 beats per minute. Im sure you would have realised you needed help by then.
    The medics can make things worse for us anxiety sufferers as I remember the medics and ambulance men telling me that every time I had a pulse of over 130 beats a minute, I must phone for ambulance. That made me worse, as I kept taking my pulse! and phoning ambulance
    Gladly ive calmed down now and rarely suffer tachy xx

Quote Originally Posted by everhopefull View Post
    Hello
    I was also told I had Tachacardia (sorry if spelt wrong) when I kept going to hospital with racing heart.
    I Had all the tests, plus a device to wear on my chest to find any problems. there were none.
    Tachycardia is nothing to be concerned about. it is just a term used by medicals to explain a heart beating quite fast. As long as it eventually rests too 90-100 beats a minute they let you go home. Anxiety always raises it as does adrenaline.
    If youve had all the tests, rest assured your heart is fine.
    You mentioned being worried that your heart may get stuck in the fast lane. I was assured that if that happens (rarely, and only if you have a heart problem), it can survive for over 7 hours at 200 beats per minute. Im sure you would have realised you needed help by then.
    The medics can make things worse for us anxiety sufferers as I remember the medics and ambulance men telling me that every time I had a pulse of over 130 beats a minute, I must phone for ambulance. That made me worse, as I kept taking my pulse! and phoning ambulance
    Gladly ive calmed down now and rarely suffer tachy xx

I was really curious as to where you got your information on duration and speed. It does sound familiar about the ambulance drivers.. except last time I called them and my heart was 150 the told me it would be better if I drove to the hospital and they said they had seen this too many times to know that it wasn't anything except anxiety.. I did and it was ok.. They never checked my blood pressure or anything ,sure enough I drove to the hospital and walked to the nearest wheelchair and sat with an attendant that I explained everything too .. But sure would like to know what you saw your information just for peace of mind. I still worry....

Are you keeping up your hydration levels better now

Trying real hard to.. I think I have a little stomach virus or maybe just stress is up about an upcoming move and well.. I have a nervous feeling in my stomach and I am hearing my heartbeat in my head , perfectly because my ears are stopped up but there is a continuous nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach and its gas I am sure but it makes me feel as though I am on a verge of a panic attack but my heart is beating very very slowly because I am trying so very hard to be calm. When I get stressed my stomach goes on the blink and then I get nervous about my stomach which makes me heart beat faster. I was wondering if what he said here could be verified. Have you ever heard that before about how safe a high heartbeat is ?

Hi, Hope i can help.

Someone very close to me had atrial tachycardia and super ventricular tachycardia.

They suffered with anxiety from around 15 on wards, and would have frequent panic attacks all related to their heart. It did take a lot of hospital visits for them to finally diagnose this. His heart would go completely off the chart, they actually said they have no idea how he survived one episode. He had to have some sort of surgery but i really can't remember what they did. The operation was optional. He took it.

He was due to have another op, but refused it, he didn't want to go through the fear again. 5 years down the line he has not had another 'episode'. The changes to his life are NO anxiety issues whatsoever, no drinking like he would and a much more healthier lifestyle. He was really blessed to overcome anxiety, he just said he got to the point where he couldn't take it anymore, couldn't take all of the episodes and panic attacks and actually wished himself dead. It was then that everything changed.

You're probably thinking 'this didn't help' but i just wanted to tell you this as your body and especially your heart is so much stronger than we think. He no longer worries about his heart rate after years of spending everyday fixated on it.

I have recently been told i have Sinus arrhythmia, i freaked, but apparently it can be quite common, they said it's not serious, basically when i breathe in my heart speeds up and when i exhale it slows down? probably a bit more than others.
    It does make me very conscious now of my heart beat. But at the end of the day my heart has got me this far and we need to give it some credit.

I suppose you are right ..I guess you have to just get to the point that you want to die then it will fade..I just was curious how accurate the information is about speed and duration. Has anyone else found this information anywhere? One time after my mother died I gave up on life for five years. I wanted to die ,hoped I would die and during that five years my heart beat like crazy all the time and I didn't care, I hoped it woulds stop but it didn't . Sometimes I guess when you loose all fear of everything your life is great in someways but very dangerous in many other ways. I did make it during that five years so I am not exactly sure how I should feel about that? Anyway thanks for your input it is appreciated .

Just posted this reply on your other thread but wanted you not to miss my reply. In 1998 a friend of mine suffered with this periodic tachycardia, and after trying different meds that didn't solve the problem, they said it was a rogue nerve that could be cauterised. So he went in for 2 nights as I recall then they discharged him and he's never had a problem with it since then. Have any of the cardiologists ever suggested this to you to treat it?

ISB x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information