Thread: Hunger pangs / constant hunger and nausea

Hunger pangs / constant hunger and nausea

Whenever I am very nervous or excited I feel hungry all the time. It's the type of hunger pangs you get when you haven't eaten for a long time. But when I do eat it still hurts. It makes me feel sick as well and my stomach just feels unsettled. I take medication for acid reflux as that is what the doc thought I have but I've been taking it for 5 years and they don't help. When I get nervous or excited again it gets worse. I am assuming this is an anxiety response but how do I stop it?

Re: Hunger pangs / constant hunger and nausea

Have you lost appetite?

Only sometimes. Other times I'm looking at the food and want to eat it but just scared!

It does sound like acid build up to me, just going by your symptoms of hunger pangs, pain, nausea, dodgy stomach, etc.

You often have to take gastric meds consistently for a long time and without missing doses in order to knock it on the head. Do you take your meds regularly? 5 years is a long time to still be having symptoms otherwise.

Also, it may well be that the meds you are on are not the right ones for you. There are several drugs for acid reflux - ranitidine, omeprazole and pantoprazole to name a few. I have had acid issues myself and last year i had gastritis. Omeprazole stopped working for me, but the doctor I saw switched it to pantoprazole, and I was better within days.

This may be worth seeing your doctor about again to discuss, as you shouldn't still be feeling as bad as you do. x

Have been on ppis since 2008. Have tried pantroprazole, lanzoprazole, esomeprazole (the strongest), ranitidine and omeprazole. Was on esomeprazole for a long time but then changed to omeprazole as wanted to have a baby and that is older. Currently on omeprazole and ranitidine. Take them like clockwork! Half an hour before breakfast. But none of them has ever really worked if I'm honest. But they tell me theres nothing else they can do. Diet makes no difference. It just gets worse when I'm anxious. Surely of the drugs don't work then it means it's not acid reflux?

This is really getting to me as woke up with bad pressure again. I also upped my PPI to 40mg as it hasn't made a difference. My heart is pounding as I am just so worried about what this is and convinced I am going to be sick. I don't know what to eat as everything hurts. The doctors just keep telling me it is anxiety and prescribed me Lyrica but I swear it is that causing the anxiety not the other way round. Help

Thread Information