Thread: how common is weight gain when on Mirt? also anyone switched from Venlafaxin to Mirt?

how common is weight gain when on Mirt? also anyone switched from Venlafaxin to Mirt?

Hi, does anyone know how common it is to put on a lot of weight when taking Mirtazapine? I don't mind putting on a little but I've noticed that some people say they put on a lot though they didn't eat more? Does anyone know a statistic? My Dad takes Mirt, and he hasn't had any weight gain.
    Also I've been suggested to come off Venlafaxine in order to start Mirt. but I'm concerned about the Venlafaxine withdrawal symptoms, and I've noticed some people on here take both, so I'm thinking of asking if I can take both until I feel more stable and ready to reduce the Venlafaxine, as I feel too vulnerable to come off medications at the moment - has anyone been through a similar scenario?
    Thanks, Ros

"Harry tried to push the matter to the back of his mind. Unfortunately, the back of his mind was no longer the secure place it had once been."

Re: how common is weight gain when on Mirt? also anyone switched from Venlafaxin to M

I am currently on both. I was on 150mg of Venlaxafine for 6 weeks and it gave me bad side effects so I'm on 75mg, have been for a month. The psychiatrist has started me on Mirt, 15mg in the evening. I've only been on Mirtazapine for 10 days and no major changes either way for met yet. I imagine he will suggest coming off the venlaxafine when I next see him (if I'm doing ok). I think you're right to ask for both and say you want to slowly reduce venlaxafine.

Re: how common is weight gain when on Mirt? also anyone switched from Venlafaxin to M

thank you, yes that's what I'm thinking of doing.

"Harry tried to push the matter to the back of his mind. Unfortunately, the back of his mind was no longer the secure place it had once been."

Hi expecto patronum,

Statistically, mirtazapine is one of the ADs most likely to be associated with weight gain (and almost all ADs are associated with weight gain). However, that is not consistent across the board - some people gain, others stay the same weight.

I know some people say they are eating the same amount of food and others say they are super hungry. I tend to think that the weight gain comes from extra food. I've been able to lose around nine kilos over the past two years and keep it off while taking mirtazapine. I did it by old-fashioned calorie counting. I find that if I don't actually count the calories each day, even if I "watch what I eat", at best my weight stays the same.

Thanks hanshan, that makes good sense

Thread Information