Thread: Dark streaks in bowels. Blood?

Dark streaks in bowels. Blood?

Hi,

This is gross I know. so I started looking at my bowel movements since I have been having a problem with blood in my spit after drinking alcohol. Well, I just noticed my bowels were a light brown almost green color but had almost like strands on the sides going down them that were darker.

These were kinda like mucus but darker color. Not black, more like a darker brown and they are about as wide as a spaghetti noodle and long like them. Each stool had maybe 2 or three that run down the side vertically.

I am a little worried this is blood. I cannot tell for sure, it's not red or black. It's mainly just a darker color. But it sits on top of the stool running down it like a long string of mucus almost. Sorry to be graphic. Could this be normal?

Re: Dark streaks in bowels. Blood?

I have had this exact worry for months! Is it sort of a gel like dark reddish-brownish stuff? I was convinced it was blood...but I think it's just normal mucus that the bowel produces naturally. Had a blood stool test which came out negative, but still worry from time to time, lol!
    How long have you had this? I only noticed it within the past year but don't get it all the time...

I would get this checked by a doctor just to be safe. You never know.

Green/light stool can indicates that things are passing through quicker than they should be, usually due to something minor like a food that hasn't agreed with you. The dark streaks could be normal too, but better safe than sorry with things like this I think!

Thanks guys. To 70sgirl, yea it is kinda like that I think. But sometimes, its almost ingrained into the stool. Sometimes too it appears as if it could have "scraped" against something and a trial was left because of it on the way out. Does yours run in a line down the stool almost the full length of the stool? I think I have had it for months to years, I just now started to worry about it. Because, at first glance I just thought it was browner or mucus, but now im worried it might be blood.[COLOR="blue"]

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by worriednow22 View Post
    Thanks guys. To 70sgirl, yea it is kinda like that I think. But sometimes, its almost ingrained into the stool. Sometimes too it appears as if it could have "scraped" against something and a trial was left because of it on the way out. Does yours run in a line down the stool almost the full length of the stool? I think I have had it for months to years, I just now started to worry about it. Because, at first glance I just thought it was browner or mucus, but now im worried it might be blood.[COLOR="blue"]

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------
    Yes sometimes mine runs in lines, or it'll be throughout the stool as well. You may notice it's worse when you're a bit constipated - when the stool is harder. Pay attention to what you eat - is it a reddish colour after eating pizza or spaghetti? Also do you have it all the time or just occasionally?
    Once I started paying closer attention to those points I realized mine varies depending on my diet, and it wasn't all the time - 2 good signs. Also remember that blood is much thinner - not gel like. I know exactly how you feel - I too was convinced it was blood, but once I got a stool test done for blood and it was negative it put my mind at ease totally. The doctor told me all along that it sounded like it was just mucus and he was right! Go see your doctor about it - I am sure you too will feel reassured. Hope that helps x

Thread Information