Thread: Is this a stomach ulcer?

Is this a stomach ulcer?

I am having a gnawing hunger pang in the pit of my stomach nearly all the time. it is worse when I wake up and eases a little when eating but keeps coming back. I also have acid reflux with burning pain on my right hand side under the ribs, in my stomach and breastbone and that crampy feeling you get with indigestion. Oh and lots of burping! It is making me feel so sick.

I have had this three times before and twice had an endoscopy. But the endoscopies were done at least 6 months or more after my symptoms started and had been on PPI's. Then in 2012 it happened again. I was on 40mg of Nexium but the same symptoms appeared and I didn't seem to be able to eat anything, not even plain boiled rice. I was told each time that it was my anxiety causing it as I had been quite stressed and I was made to just put up with it for several months until it went away.

This time I have had a very stressful few months and noticed my tummy got worse. The doctors are again telling me that it is all anxiety but I don't believe this gnawing hunger pang is otherwise I wouldn't get it when I am at home and feel safe. I was down to 10mg of Omeprazole until a month ago when I went back to 20mg. I asked my GP on Monday about going back to 40mg but she said I could only do it for two weeks. I can't eat as I feel full from one or two mouthfuls and feel sick even though I have those gnawing hunger pangs. My family think I am causing them by not eating but it is the other way round.

I went back to the GP yesterday and she told me that she thinks its anxiety and prescribed my lyrica to go with my 20mg citalopram. The only thing is I am reluctant to take that as I was like a zombie on prozac and therefore nervous or those sorts of drugs. It took a long time to get me to take citalopram. Also I am not sure it will help.

I feel like no one believes me. I am emetophobic and my Mum, Dad and husband all tell me I should go back to work to get back to 'normal' so my health anxiety decreases and I feel better. But they aren't in my body. They don't know how ill I feel every morning/day. The doctors don't believe me either. Yes I know I have been anxious but that has decreased now apart from the worry about this gnawing hunger pang and nausea. I can't go on like this.

Sorry for the essay but do you think it sounds like stomach ulcers?

Re: Is this a stomach ulcer?

Hi I have the same symptoms as you & ive been to the docs several times & every time I'm told its IBS or trapped wind. I'm going on Monday & asking for the blood test. Maybe you can do the same? Xxx

Re: Is this a stomach ulcer?

Just wanted to throw this out here: It really is possible that it may be food allergies/intolerances. I DID have two ulcers, in fact (and no h-pylori, but yes, some do occur otherwise). One peptic and one duodenal, caused by excess acid. These were healed with Nexium, verified by second endoscopy. However, the IBS symptoms continued to appear occasionally, cyclical constipation then bad diahrrea, along with cramping, severe abdominal pain, acid reflux etc. Went back to the doctor and he offered another prescription to take alongside the Nexium. I was fed up and desperate, so I went to a naturopathic physician who put me on an elimination diet (no wheat, no dairy, no soy, no sugar, and no alcohol or caffeine).

And yes, it can be done. I allowed myself a week and a half on first green tea, then lightly caffeinated tea (read the boxes, they are usually with the herb teas), then caffeine-free black, green or herbal teas. I got just one headache, took two acetominophren and had a nap, and that was it.

After 28 days, I pulled out a notebook and began re-introducing each food type, about 3 days apart. Biggest trigger was soy. Horrible effects were immediate. It is KEY to note that soy in one form and another is in almost all packaged foods, bottled salad dressings except organic, etc. Processed foods are not good for us because of the additives, etc., and it is not hard to go fresh and whole. Takes gluten right out of the equation, and although I'm not "allergic", I do believe I have acquired an intolerance for it because of its prevalence in everything! Feel so much better when I rarely and judiciously indulge, am less mucousy, less tired and my digestion is much better. Whole, organic, fresh veg and fruit. Good home cooked meals, no flour, and snacks like nuts, fruit, etc. Taste buds adjust relatively quickly and that helps in avoidance of sugar as well! Which, nonsensically DOES create a lot of acid response and thus heartburn/acid reflux. Cheese was another huge trigger. Massive. I can manage a bit of feta now and again in a salad, a small amount of shredded cheese on organic nachos once in a while, that kind of thing, but the usual cheese OR indeed ice cream bring on the symptoms full-force and believe me, it's not worth it!

Anyway, it can't hurt and may very well be the ticket! ... Good luck.
    Marie

Thread Information