Thread: Overcame solipsism (fear of doubting everything around you)

Overcame solipsism (fear of doubting everything around you)

I will start out by saying this is completely doable to overcome, and it felt like hell to me when I got it, yes it feels impossible. Because the very thought of it, is that it cant be done and we wont know. Yes I did pull out of it. Yes it gradually fades away. Yes its fake, yes you become a better person through it and after it, yes you become more confident about your decisions when you go through it.
    I call it, "Ignoring the Beauty of Reality."
    or "Not opening the Christmas present because you don't know what's inside"
    or "The Waster of Time"
    Whatever it is, it must be good because its present, that is your new philosophy.

I guarantee you weren't as bad as you thought you were, until you further researched solipsism, and then it made it worse. Am I correct?
    Your symptoms probably shot through the roof, the more you learned. Why, because the lie gets deeper.
    Its the equivalent of me explaining that the sun and moon gives you love, you would never know the truth correct? I can continue to explain why this and why that, and the deeper you go the further you are from any concrete evidence because its all based on a lie. It was spread to confuse, Basically what it does is, it makes you question your minds mind, which is impossible, so the task itself is a foolish lie. Our brain weighs I don't know how many pounds, and it has the capability to grasp the concept of a universe, but not this. Its the same to say, only a human that can see in complete darkness (the absent of light) will see his meaning in life. This is an impossibility.
    google this guy - to watch to destroy this lie, and the reason why its a lie.
    mark passio

Here is a quote from Prospector a member on here who summed it up nicely,
    "I learned that the idea was never the issue at all. I can live a perfectly normal life now. It was more like my reaction to the idea. Basically, I never actually believed in the idea. But it was my FEAR OF BELIEVING in the idea that created the tension. And I'm pretty sure if someone genuinely believed in the idea, they would be happy in this state."

OK, STILL NOT CONVINCED IT IS A LIE.... I WASNT EITHER, I HAVE THE MOST STUBBORN MIND AS WELL, SO HERE GOES STEP BY STEP MY RECORDED THOUGHT PROCESS ON HOW I BEAT IT(S ASS)

First off it is an irrational fear, ( I could die today) not a reality.
    That is proven with time, because if solipsism were true, and lets say Jesus understood, the moment you think it, everything will go black,white, whatever, you will emerge as a spirit, everyone will worship you, etc. But when YOU think it, nothing happens except distress, anxiety, and a loooot of waisted time, which is a sign your body is telling you that this is an irrational and bad thought. If you feel distressed when thinking this, love your body, love your mind, take a break right now and thank it, because it has the correct intentions for you and loves you. If you don't complete this step, you will not understand how to overcome solipsism. Your mind is searching for a meaning to categorize, make sense out of this irrational thought known as solipsism, the thanking and loving of your mind and body is crucial in moving forward with creating this lasting meaning, and smiling like you did when you were a child. Have you thanked and loved and smiled inside of your body yet for creating anxiety when thinking about solipsism?... I'll wait.
    Done?
    I know you are still searching for comfort from this, but please force yourself to do it for 10 seconds. Thank yourself for stressing over solipsism. create a forgiveness and a truce. Because your mind was warning you that this thought is dangerous because it waists time.

Ok good. now

You are not fighting any real force, life or death, destiny, god or anyone. this is just a thought that you were bound to face in life and it has a very big meaning. Don't expect to go back to normal, expect to go back BETTER then normal. Because if you don't, solipsism will win and continue to win everyday. Why? Because it is curiosity. How was your life before solipsism? I bet it was stressful, panicky, anxiety ocd. So without us realizing we are actually holding on to solipsism because "what if" it may actually be a sign that you shouldn't ignore and life will emerge better? Heightened? A calling you cannot ignore? Did you realize you are doing this? Is there a thought lingering in your mind at times that maybe, hopefully solipsism is a calling for something good?
    And if so why does it have such a horrible feeling when I think it?
    It is because you have emotional, innate intelligence. You hold the truth to everything, and if you don't, you know you can google a solution (just like you found this post)
    Your mind knows theirs something better,
    your brain is telling you I must find a cure/solution for this.
    Your thoughts are telling you this is wrong, how do I get back,
    I know there is an end to this.
    That fight in you, is PURE TRUTH. PURE NO DOUBT, UNWAVERING 100% TRUTH.
    I bet when you first thought of solipsism you went into an all out panic. is that correct?
    That is TRUTH.
    Think of an emotional rough, scary moment in your life? How did you feel? Was your body/mind upset? Yes? UNWAVERING 100% TRUTH
    Think of everyday anxiety, panic attacks, OCD, discomfort in your life? was your body stressed? Yes? UNWAVERING 100% TRUTH
    Now I want you again to thank your mind, body, and thoughts that you have a fear of Solipsism. Do it?
    Why do you keep arguing and getting upset with the same mind, body thoughts that give you love and hope?
    It is trying to keep you safe. It is telling you solipsism is a LIE. I will show you below how you are deceiving it.
    You felt this. that fight is actually THE TRUTH. we are born with it. But the fear of solipsism. Your body, mind has every right to fear this, it is natural. It is threatening, it is doubt. It is not only doubt, it is the thought of never ending doubt.
    To a normal person they will shake this off in a matter of seconds or minutes and treat it as a "trippy, different thought they haven't thought about before" but to us we know it is a recipe for madness because we understand how our OCD minds work.
    So to explain to a normal person it is the equivalent of asking them, imagine you are in a dark room, and anything good in your life was a lie, and not only this, you were being fooled, so you must forget your mind, forget your thoughts and walk around this dark room with bugs, knives and monsters not knowing what, when or where you will be attacked with first. No one can hear you scream, So forget your past, forget your family, forget your logic and welcome to your new life.
    This is how solipsism feels to an OCD person.
    Now I will describe a normal life,
    "Life is good, outside is beautiful, who called me last night? What am I going to wear today? What am I going to accomplish today. Goals for this year? Hmmm what's that smell? Smells like my neighbor is bbq, looking outside, yup I see the smoke, bbq. I wonder if I can go over and ask for say hi its been while. No I shouldn't what if they think I am weird. Okay back to my life.

Now I will describe a normal life overcoming doubt.
    "Life is good, outside is beautiful, who called me last night? What am I going to wear today? What am I going to accomplish today. Goals for this year? Hmmm what's that smell? Smells like my neighbor is bbq, looking outside, yup I see the smoke, bbq. I wonder if I can go over and ask for say hi its been while. No I shouldn't what if they think I am weird.. Oops, wait a minute, I remember that one time in my life when I had doubts of this eternally selfish struggle because I tried to create a different reality and ignored the beauty of this reality. Let me walk over and say hi.

Now your world is changing.

It is what the Fear of solipsism itself is made of. You cannot cut off one, and have the other. Their must be something in you that says,
    even solipsism says it, "nothing is known outside our mind, except that our mind exists"
    wow!
    Even solipsism cannot beat our mind?

We just need to get you back to your normal self first. We need to get you back to the real game.
    Hapiness lifestyle 3
    Hapiness is at 2
    Life is at 1
    Doubt (solipsism) is at 0
    Sadness/depression is at -1

So when you beat 0= solipsism you need to make it back to 1, that is life . Dont try to jump to 2 or 3 unless the situation permits (your at a party) enjoy yourself.
    For me, i had to because i was at a -1 and i had to jump to a 3 daily because my work demands, life, engaged to my girl etc.

Im traumatized to be happy. Because my brain is on alert to doubt.

I realized my shortcomings, a doubt in world cannot exist with us.
    A question cannot go unsolved.

So the issue isnt solipsism, dammit, im by myself what the hell do i do now?

The issue is, o crap, my brain got a hold of something bad, and i cant disprove it, ive been dreading this moment my entire life, i know i wont be able to handle this.
    This becomes worse then the actual idea of solipsism. So our emotions are telling us, this must be solipsism.

No this is ocd at its most uncomfortable, the unknown.

So i went through exposure therapy for solipsism. And heres what happened.

Solipsism = enjoying your own world in a better light that you want . No one ever suggested nothing was real, you thought the extreme and put yourself through it to protect your loved ones, your mind, your heart, your hapiness. Which proves your love is real.

When i think it, my default thought must be hapiness- how? It is the return of true hapiness in a box of fear, just not what you wanted to hear. Here is an equation of self doubt.
    It is your mom telling you, stop doing (S) and do (B),
    because if you do (S) then you lose (E)
    So even though you know this, you do ( S ) anyways...
    and sure enough, guess what, you lose everything (E).
    All you need to do is not do (S)
    If you do (B) you get everything (E2), But doing (B) requires discipline, patience and faith, your normal self.
    S= thinking what if's, catastrophizing, solipsism
    B= belief in yourself, logic, optimism
    E= everything, happiness, satisfictation
    E2 = everything positive times 2
    So you risk doing (S) to try to get to (E2). And that is the cycle.
    But B is better and proven to be better.
    But you still deviate.
    How did i come across this,
    Since i was little I always deviated. Bad, didnt do homework, very different thinker, draw a lot, didnt go to school, procrastinator, experimented with drugs, intrigued by street knowledge, music, ocd, makeup, drinking, bad people, drifters.
    Your body is telling you to wake up.
    Solipsism therefore is Real.
    And it is a real positive message from your inner self to wake up, stop doubting your greatness, stop worrying and believe.
    Solipsism comes up, what do you do?
    Make this a habit

I realized i had solipsism ans it is what everyones born with, i had it bad stealing, cheating, lying, flaking, hurting people, etc. Then i learned, , some people, they learn the tools either never or maybe later, i have learned them early on. And therefore I am better learning them, and more conscience of peoples thoughts, time, passions and weaknesses. I was formed like this, and learning that i use to be solipsism all the way, made me more caring, bold, taking charge, productive, successful and popular.
    To beat it, hang on to everyone's question and listen fully without letting details pass, comment back on everything, over deliver for people, and feel connected to them.

The main question to defeat it with is,
    "why is this bad again?"
    It is my experience with the world.
    There's always an excuse to take away from goals, moments, its the same emotion that protects you as well, so I'm not mad at it.
    I just understand it, i work with it, i separate myself from it and it ultimately helps catapults me to the life i love.
    Last edited by soblessed; 12-01-15 at 01:45.

Re: Overcame solipsism (fear of doubting everything around you)

Update - Almost 2 years later. I feel amazing.
    Just so you know. Not only did I overcome solipsism, I overcame all panic attacks and never had one again until this day. Its funny and kind of ironic to say, but I will never have one again. How do I know? Too many times I countered it, right in its tracks. So trust and instinct tells me it will never come. The only way this happened, is I proved it to myself. I literally tried to bring a panic on, and once it came, all the symptoms came back, and guess what I shook it off. After about 3 times of doing it, it never showed its face again. This made me fearless. Since then, I have quit my job. Started a business, Married my then-girlfriend, bought a home and live pretty good, doing what I love everyday and spending time with my family.

If you guys any questions, feel free to inbox me directly.

Thanks!

Soblessed. You know you helped me as well. I read your huge post. You and Prospector are Awesome. I feel the anxiety is fading a bit. But it comes back sometimes you know and fall into the trap again. Really, I know it is a fake idea full of shit. But when I go out and confront people why do I keep questioning their minds. I feel like a ****in wreck sometimes you know. I know I'm not God or the creator of this creation or this universe. But why now am I questioning their minds all the time? I read in philosophy about this so called 'Problem of Other Minds' and 'Problem of Qualia'. That made me more anxious because I didn't know problems like this existed in philosophy. What are your thoughts man? It's very annoying. I feel scared of girls that I like now too.

Thank You

Hmm I wouldn't say solipsism is a 'lie'. It's just a philosophical idea that could be neither 'proven nor disproven'. It would be a lie if you ASSUME solipsism is absolute truth but most people who talk about solipsism just say that it's a 'possibility'. Solipsism 'itself' is technically right because it merely says 'there's no way to prove or 'certainly know for a fact' that what your experiencing is not a dream or imagination or a simulation'. Also, if you read comments on Mark Passio, many people pointed out where Mark Passio misunderstood solipsism.

Thread Information