Thread: Upper right rib pain

Upper right rib pain

Hi all. I posted last week about how frightened I am about my doctors diagnosis of IBS.

I think the Citalopram is finally started to have an affect on my Anxiety, but there is still part of me that thinks surely what I am feeling is not all down to anxiety. My bowels are starting to calm down slightly, but my upper right rib pain is still there the same. Does anyone else have upper RIGHT rib area pain with IBS? If so, any suggestions on how to ease it.

Re: Upper right rib pain

Yeah I have it. Had it since August. It comes and goes, made the mistake of thinking it was gone for good but it's recently come back. I think IBS flare ups can take months to calm down. Try a heat pad?

Find hot water bottle or wheatie is best bet. heat has a general calming effect for me. Glad things beginning to settle

Thank you for your replies. I'll get a heat pad and give it a go. I'm also thinking maybe my posture does not help things, I've been sat in a chair a lots recently feeling sorry for myself. So less sitting about and a heat pad.

Posture, stress, and bloating can all cause rib pain. Also, the ribs are covered in smooth muscles, so if you are constantly feeling and poking around them they can get (and STAY) tender for a very long time. Heating pads work great, as does stretching and laying out after a hard day's work. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've bought a heat pad you warm up in the microwave today so going to start using that and also going to sit up straight and not slouch feeling sorry for myself. As for my anxiety, that's a work in progress.

Thread Information