Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desperate

Re: Desperate

Yes, I think you may be right , I am just so drained and depressed from it all as I am never happy and sensitive to every situatuon. All I do is pick out negatives when I want fun and happiness. Nothing make sense!!!

Thats referred to as Cogntive Distortion, you don't see the reality anymore, just the negatives that conform to that style of thinking. CBT techniques can help address this but I would always advise Mindfulness because it makes changes at a deeper level by making you non judgemental and you stop focussing on the one sided reality. It also has been shown in brain scanning to utilise the side of the brain related to compassion as opposed to the side related to fear which is going to help you spend more time activating neurons in the side that is related to happiness.
    Last edited by MyNameIsTerry; 22-12-14 at 07:50.

Thank you for that, havent heard of that before but it makes sense. Just always unhappy i dont see a way out and I'm so emotionally exhausted x

No probs.

There are loads of threads discussing it. Have a look on the Therapy board for some information.

Google for Professor Mark Williams in the UK who has co created MBCT which is a blended version of CBT with Mindfulness. He has a website with free meditations from his book, its called Frantic World. He has written a couple of books which are readily available. MBCT is NICE approved for recurrent depression as well and GP's have started referring people on here from a couple of threads I have seen but if not there is loads of therapists who offer it as Oxford Uni, where Professor Williams works, offers lengthy training in it (I think Bangor Uni does as well, and there are training companies) and you may have heard Ruby Wax is now a fully qualified psychotherapist and this is where she trained. It works around an 8 week programme of increasingly harder goals (they are not hard though, its just a way of working up as you improve) along with a different meditation per week which you practice daily and some are quite short (longest is less than 30 mins).

Also, there is Jon Kabat-Zinn who created MBSR which was the original form that MBCT was derived from. He is in the US and has websites but I think the downloads are purchased. MBSR has been proven in brain scans, in a recent study, to decrease the density of neural pathways in the Amygdala (the right Amygdala is the fear centre) and increase neural pathways in the area of the brain associated with compassion.

There is also a Headspace app with a free 10 day trial that other members on here say is good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information