Thread: Diagnosed with Gastritis - not convinced (worried its my liver)

Diagnosed with Gastritis - not convinced (worried its my liver)

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone could offer some calming advice.

I noticed I was having pain when I was laying on my side, or on my stomach in the right hand side of my abdomen just near to the bottom of my ribs. Initially I was worried about Gallstones, but I wasnt having any vomitting or any sickness. There isnt any pain as such when theres no pressure on the area, but there is a little discomfort.

My next worry was that there was something wrong with my liver as I was feeling a little tired. So I decided I had to go to the Drs. She soon ruled out Gallstones and examined my abdomen. She diagnosed me with Gastritis and said my stomach was swollen.

However Im not convinced as its on the right hand side and isnt the stomach on the left hand side? The Dr advised however that looking back at the medication Ive been taking,Citalopram and Naproxen, that because Ive stopped taking them this could have affected my stomach lining and caused the stomach to swell.

In my head I cant stop putting the tiredness and the pain being near to my liver together and thinking its something more sinister.

Has anyone else experienced Gastritis in the right hand side and have they experienced fatigue with it also?

Cheers guys. Any advice or information would help

Re: Diagnosed with Gastritis - not convinced (worried its my liver)

I have alot of stomach issues, and was also diagnosed with gastritis. If it was your liver you would experience more than just fatigue. You skin would be yellow. And I mean yellow.

Sometimes I think HA sufferers want to be diagnosed with their greatest fears

Advice: Listen to your doctor and treat the physical illness. Also look into treating the psychological illness as that will help to treat the physical illness due to the psychological illness. Unless you truly want this to be a more severe physical illness that is.....

Positive thoughts
    Last edited by Fishmanpa; 20-12-14 at 14:18.
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

The top of the stomach is on your left side, but the bottom loops around to the right where it connects with the duodenum and small intestine. Also, pain can radiate away from a site of inflammation and appear elsewhere.

I think everyone gets gastritis from time to time, and the tiredness may just come from the lead-up to Christmas. Take care.

If she could feel your stomach was a little swollen, she'd have been able to feel if your liver was. They can do that with a physical examination of your abdomen which I'm sure is what she did. Take care

I had gastritis last year. I have never felt pain like it, so I sympathise.

Mine was on the left side, directly under my ribs and mid way between there and my belly button. It was a relentless nagging and burning pain that I had never felt in my life. I believe that you can feel pain anywhere in the vicinity of your stomach/ upper abdominal area.

Mine was brought on by a huge amount of supplements that I was taking for polycystic ovaries, so I can well believe your doctor saying this is medication related. Naproxen is a very powerful pain relief drug. Hard on the stomach, and in the same group of drugs as Ibuprofen, so needs great care when taken regularly to protect the stomach lining.

It makes sense what the doctor is saying, I think. Try to have some faith and trust his medical judgement.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thread Information