Thread: Mirena Coil

Mirena Coil

Hi does anyone know anything about the mirena coil? I have been offered one to stop my mid cycle bleeding and as a reliable form of contraception, but I am concerned about side effects. I don't want to google this as I know there will be loads of horror stories. Thanks for reading.

Re: Mirena Coil

Hi there

I'll have had my Mirena coil in for 2 years next April - best thing I ever did!

I was suffering with painful, heavy periods and mid cycle bleeding and pain due to endometriosis and it has helped me so much.

I'll be honest, it did hurt on insertion but apparently the nurse said its because I haven't had children yet and my cervix is tighter. Apparently if you have had children it hurts less.

I had a little bit of period type pain for about a week or so after on and off and bled on and off (just spotting mainly) for the first few months then my periods totally stopped for about a year!

Now I have the very odd period, sometimes they come back for a few months then go for a few months. Sometimes I have sore boobs but in general the side effects for me have been minimal.

I am trying not to Google at the moment too, always brings up the worst case scenarios.

Let me know if you have any questions about the Mirena - PM me if you feel more comfortable.

Snowflake xx

Re: Mirena Coil

Thanks for your reply. I will PM you. xx

Thread Information