Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colonscopy in 4 days

Colonscopy in 4 days

Hello all. I hope everyone had a happy Christmas. I have to have a colonscopy on Tuesday and I'm really afraid of being sedated. My doctor said that I can stay awake. Has anyone had a colonscopy awake? If so was it painful?

Re: Colonscopy in 4 days

Hi RosEve I had a colonoscopy in August and I had local anesthestic so although I was conscious the sedative helped with the procedure, I like you was extremely anxious before I had it done I told the consultant that I had health anxiety and he calmed me down. I then had the procedure and don't remember any of it and I then fell asleep for hours but it literally only felt like minutes. That was the most relaxed I had felt in a long time. Is scary but I got through it and I know you can too

Thanks for the encouragement Laura Has anyone done it without sedation? I'm trying to decide.

Hi hope u dont mind me askin but why r u havin one done .
    Last edited by nicolag84; 28-12-14 at 21:13.

Hi, yes I have had a colonoscopy without being sedated, I would honestly say it is not painful, however what I found most unpleasant was a feeling of the need to empty my bowel during the procedure (even though this is not possible) xx So whether you have a sedative or not, please do try not to worry. You will get through it xx

Oh thank you. I feel much better now! I don't mind you asking. In October I was in the hospital for almost a week with what they think may have been a colitis. They aren't sure if it was that or a really nasty virus. They think it more likely a virus. They are just checking to make sure I don't have Crohn's disease.

I had one done 2 Christmases ago - but I was given a general anesthetic.

Best sleep ever!! (although it was only 40 mins). I was petrified of going to sleep - but the anesthesiologist was beautiful and talked me through it. It honestly was a peace of cake

Thanks for the support! I had the procedure today and I was fine. I got the sedation which was truly a beautiful thing and everything looked good

Hi rose, glad you went for the sedation in the end and everything went well with the procedure and everything looks okay

Brilliant RoseEve, well done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information