Thread: Really anxious

Really anxious

I had my dosage of citalopam upped to 40 from 20 six weeks ago as my anxiety seemed to go through the roof.The last few days have been dreadfull ,and last night the panic kept me awake and its still going on now Has anyone else encounterd this or have the citalopam stopped working.I have been taking them for a very long time but only 10ml until just over 2 years ago when they were upped to20.Sorry if this sounds barmy it is my first post would be grateful for any advise

Re: Really anxious

its fine, been taking it for over 1 year, my anxiety went through the roof with each dosage increase, its normal and may take a week or 2 to settle in.

Just hang in there, its all normal.

I remember asking these questions a year or so ago, maybe check a few of my old threads for some answers.

Thumbs up Re: Really anxious

Thank you very much for replying,its helped a lot ,Will soldier on have just started therapy kind Regards

If you've been on the new dose for 6 weeks and the past days were dreadful, I see no connection with this being a side effect. If you just started them, it's different, like Fuzzy said, side effects are really difficult to go through when you increase a dose, but they should subside within a few weeks (and at 6 weeks I'd think you should feel better at this point). I'd def give my doctor a call if I were you. Gluck

Quote Originally Posted by honeycakes View Post
    If you've been on the new dose for 6 weeks and the past days were dreadful, I see no connection with this being a side effect. If you just started them, it's different, like Fuzzy said, side effects are really difficult to go through when you increase a dose, but they should subside within a few weeks (and at 6 weeks I'd think you should feel better at this point). I'd def give my doctor a call if I were you. Gluck
    increasing from 20 straight to 40 is a huge increase for this type of medication, it may take 8 weeks or even more to settle in.

Not to disagree but. OP was on the new dose for 6 weeks... THEN he/she had a bad bout of anxiety. If OP was experiencing anxiety as a side effect to the new dosage they would have felt something before an entire 6 weeks.

Unless the new dosage is simply not therapeutic for OP and the anxiety they are feeling is their "regular" anxiety and not caused by medication - in any case I'd discuss this with my doctor. OP is new to Citalopram, they were already on 20mg which wasn't working. After 6 weeks on double the dose, I'd have doubts if I was having really bad bouts of anxiety and I'd want to see my doctor.

What it comes down to... none of us are experts and you shouldn't take our opinions for "cash", if you're feeling really bad and have doubts, it can't hurt to see or call your doctor.

sometimes doctors are wrong, and some just don't care.

People on this forum talk from experience, and starting on 20mg and a few weeks later increasing to 40mg is too much for the body to handle

It took me over 6 months to eventually increase to 40mg. Taking it slow with this medication is the best course of action.

Thread Information