Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enlarged uterus (Doctors words) so scared!!

Enlarged uterus (Doctors words) so scared!!

I went today for my annual well woman check up and had a pap smear done and a pelvic exam. My doctor felt my belly and said my uterus felt "big." She discussed me being pregnant but that was ruled out by a pregnancy test, plus my husband had a vasectomy several years ago. So she is sending me for an ultrasound on Monday. She said it could be a polyp, I of course, googled and saw polyps could mean cancer. I'm totally freaking out! I knew something wasn't right because I've been so bloated lately and have put on about 5 lbs. recently. Someone help me, someone who's been through this. I'm terrified! :(

Re: Enlarged uterus (Doctors words) so scared!!

Leslie, stop googling! You know ANYTHING is cancer to Dr Google, but he is not qualified. Your imagination is running away with you. I had a polyp a few years ago and the gynaecologist told me they are very unlikely to be anything to worry about, but they are routinely removed as they can bleed and be a nuisance. I had mine removed as a day case at the hospital and six years on have not had any further problems. Let us know how you get on on Monday and try not to worry meanwhile. Not easy, I know, but the odds are very much in your favour that all will be fine. Hugs from Annie

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieMags View Post
    Leslie, stop googling! You know ANYTHING is cancer to Dr Google, but he is not qualified. Your imagination is running away with you. I had a polyp a few years ago and the gynaecologist told me they are very unlikely to be anything to worry about, but they are routinely removed as they can bleed and be a nuisance. I had mine removed as a day case at the hospital and six years on have not had any further problems. Let us know how you get on on Monday and try not to worry meanwhile. Not easy, I know, but the odds are very much in your favour that all will be fine. Hugs from Annie
    Thank you so much! I guess what is worrying me is my uterus is the size of a 12 week pregnancy (no I'm not pregnant, we checked).

I so understand how that would worry you until it has been clarified. I googled for you and found something very reassuring:

"There are many reasons for an enlarged uterus but most of them are benign. However, they often cause annoying symptoms."

If you could just hang on to that thought until you have had your ultrasound, that would be great. Fibroids (totally benign growths in the uterus) were mentioned as a common cause and let me tell you, uterine cancer was WAY down the list of probabilities

I feel sure there will be good news from your ultrasound scan.

Best wishes and from Annie

Thank you so much Annie for the reassuring words and for the quote you found. It does help. Your so nice! *hugs*

I had the same happen to me. My doctor even said I had a mass in my uterus which sent me into a panic. It turned out to be a benign polyp which is the most likely cause. I had the polyp removed as a day patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    I had the same happen to me. My doctor even said I had a mass in my uterus which sent me into a panic. It turned out to be a benign polyp which is the most likely cause. I had the polyp removed as a day patient.
    Thank you for your response and positive story! It really helps to read them, because as I'm sure you can imagine, I'm so scared and worried. :(

I was told my uterus was enlarged after my last pregnancy 26 years ago when I was 34, and the only nuisance of it was that my periods were heavier and lasted longer because there is more womb lining to be shed. My periods stopped altogether when I was 48 when I hit the menopause, so that issue hasn't been a problem since, but the gynaecologist was never worried about it after the initial scan and apart from the heavy periods I didn't have any other symptoms.

ISB x

Quote Originally Posted by I still Believe View Post
    I was told my uterus was enlarged after my last pregnancy 26 years ago when I was 34, and the only nuisance of it was that my periods were heavier and lasted longer because there is more womb lining to be shed. My periods stopped altogether when I was 48 when I hit the menopause, so that issue hasn't been a problem since, but the gynaecologist was never worried about it after the initial scan and apart from the heavy periods I didn't have any other symptoms.

ISB x
    Thank you for your story, it is reassuring!

The trouble with google .... When it comes to looking up anything.... The 'bad' news always seems to be more prevalent than the 'good'.
    So when looking it up, you are more likely to see a scary diagnosis (but one which is nearly always not the correct one).
    and of course, alongside the many explanations for it being something you need not worry about now or at any time in the future..... appears the scary cancer diagnoses. And that is (of course) more eye-catching and therefore triggering of fear & anxiety.
    Imagine for now perhaps that you say several other things this could be.... None of which you need worry about either at all or too much...... Try to keep yourself as busy as you can.... Especially your mind.
    The Internet is brilliant for some things (like this great forum for example) & can be a source of relief, but as you've found out.... Sometimes it has the opposite effect!!!
    Wishing you well :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information