Thread: Swallowing 'jumps' 'startles'

Swallowing 'jumps' 'startles'

Hello

Does anyone else experience this: I can be in bed in the morning, or reading, or relaxing and I get this weird swallow. It makes me jump, almost like a startle reflex sensation. I'm probably not explaining it well, but basically it's like an involuntary swallow!! I've been anxious recently but starting to get there, but this weird swallow thing is worrying me as it always takes me by surprise.

If anyone can relate it would help xx

Re: Swallowing 'jumps' 'startles'

It's a sensitivity issue most likely, you start to notice all sorts of bodily functions that were happening before except no your anxiety goes "what was that? !".

Swallowing isn't always involuntary anyway, it can be a reflex action, and you will find as you recover that this issue lessens as you start feel more confident and relaxed.

Thanks MNIT

I have noticed that I tend to get it more when I'm in bed dozing or after crying. It doesn't happen too often - it reminds me of the jerks you can get when dropping off to sleep sometimes. Of course, with my current fears of BT/seizures I'm linking them...

Anyway thanks for replying x

Has anyone experienced this? I'm trying to be rational, but it's difficult!

Perhaps I haven't explained it well; or I'm just weird

Xx

Yeah, I consider it a bit like that but we have to remember that the jerks in bed happen to people with no anxiety disorders and I can remember having them many years before my anxiety started.

You've explained it fine.

It’s been 3 years since I wrote this and I am still getting it.

It’s really worrying me as no one else I know seems to get it, or know what I mean.
    Can anyone relate at all? I have a current mnd fear and I’m linking it to that.

Sarah x

flattery yes, yes I've had this! During my very worst anxiety times over the years I will actually wake up in the middle of the night, heart usually racing and have this involuntary like swallow. When it first happened to me (over 20 years ago), it was yet another thing that scared the living crap out of me! It would happen to me multiple times during the night for days on end.

It has happened off/on to me during severe anxiety times in my life. Mostly at night when going to sleep or stirring from sleep or upon waking in the middle of the night, but I've had it occasionally occur during the day too, during highly anxious times.

I know exactly what you are talking about. It is most disconcerting. I know it is related to the hyper adrenalized state of panic and anxiety as I've never had it happen to me in times when I've had relative peace and abating of my health anxiety. You are not alone!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience br350.

It really helps to hear someone describe it to me and helps not to be alone. I’ve had then a lot this morning. For some reason, even though I’ve had it for over 3 years, I’m linking it to my current fear of mnd. I recently also started to wake myself up with a sort of loud moany noise which I’ve never had before and this is adding to my list of weird sensations.

Hi flatterycat
    I know this post was a few years ago now, but do you still have this swallowing problem.
    I have had it for a year and its exactly as you describe, i also am scared about mnd.

Thread Information