Thread: 5 weeks into Cipralex

5 weeks into Cipralex

Hi there,

I'm very new to this forum and just wanted to get some advice on whether to stick with Cipralex.

I am into my fifth week, starting with 5mg and then increasing to 10mg in the second week. The nausea was pretty awful for the first two weeks and then seemed to pass. It then came back with a vengeance in week 3 and my doctor advised me to decrease my dose back to 5mg and then gradually increase back to 10mg. I was ok with the 5mg but 3 days after increasing back to 10mg in week 5, the nausea kicked in again. I am now back down to 5mg and whilst the nausea is mild, I have little or no appetite and energy levels are low.

I started taking Cipralex due to insomnia and whilst I feel less anxious about the insomnia, my sleep does not seem to be improving. I have been prescribed zopiclone to help with the sleep but this gives me 2 hours maximum, maybe cipralex is reducing the effects.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: 5 weeks into Cipralex

Hi Kim
    SSRIS wont make your sleep better they will effect it and usually make it worse.They do stabilise your mood though .I dont agree going up and down doses it only messes with your nervous system,go with a dose and stick with it for at least 3 months.Older ADs like mirt are used for sleep as are low doses of anti pyschotics.If you dont feel it is the right med for you go back to your doctor and explain why

Thanks Andy. I am back at the doctors on Monday so will talk this through with her.
    Kim

Hi Kim, it's a long time since I started up this drug now but I remember going through some pretty rubbish side effects but they did pass. I used to go up in quarter of a pill intervals and then went from 10 to 20 with no prob at all. I started to feel so much better but my sleep has never been great, so I take Lorazepam at times. But all in all I am back to my old self but still suffer with anxiety when I get really worried over something. But I guess most people do.
    Keep going, All this start up stuff will pass and your body will know if you can handle it, if that makes any sense xxxxxx

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your words of support.

I actually came off Cipralex yesterday as I was losing too much weight and it didn't seem to be doing anything to relieve my insomnia, which is my major problem. It's the insomnia that then leads to depression and anxiety.

I switched to Remeron and took my first pill last night. I felt drowsy after 30 mins but sleep didn't come for about 4 hours. However I did manage to drop off eventually and slept for 7 hours straight, which is a miracle for me. I do feel a little dazed and confused this morning but more than anything I feel a sense of relief that I was able to get through the night distress and panic free. I do have more energy to enjoy the day, which is a feeling that I haven't had for months. Previously I have been taking Lexotanil to ease the anxiety during the day but so far, I don't feel that I need this.

I may take the Remeron a little earlier tonight and see how I go as work demands that I get up at 7am so to get a decent nights sleep, I need to be dropping off about midnight. I guess I also gave Cipralex still in my system so this could explain why Remeron didn't have it's full effect straight away. I live in hope but small steps, I guess.

Any shared experiences would be much appreciated.
    Kim
    Last edited by kimbod79; 10-01-15 at 11:36. Reason: Spelling

Thread Information