Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So scared about cervical cancer

So scared about cervical cancer

Hi there,

3 months ago I had a cervical smear test. The results were inconclusive as my cervix bled and ruined the sample so I was told to come back in 3 months - my next test is on Friday.

I have become completely obsessed over the last 6 months or so with the fact I've got cervical cancer. I have had a lot of lower abdominal pain (which I'm trying to tell myself is more likely to be wins/IBS), sex has been painful (although this has always been the case for me so it is not a 'new' symptom) and I've had some discharge. I was reassuring myself that it was OK because I hadn't had any unexplained bleeding except then this morning when I went to the toilet there was some blood on the loo roll. This has, of course, sent me in to blind panic and I'm now convinced I'm going to die/not be able to have children etc etc.

Usually I use this forum to help me calm down and as an alternative to terrible googling so I clicked on the sticky thread above on cervical cancer. This has made me feel 10000 x worse with all the stories on there of people's friends who did have this/didn't have symptoms etc etc.

What do people think?

Should I just wait til my smear on Friday or try and see a Dr earlier? And do I trust the result of that smear or should I follow up with doctor even if clear given my other symptoms?

Finally does anyone have any advice on how to avoid thinking about this CONSTANTLY and ruining my Saturday completely? I really want to relax and enjoy my last two days of holiday but can't stop thinking about this and what it might mean for my future :(:(

Re: So scared about cervical cancer

hey hun ,
    im too young (22) to have a smear my mum had cervical cancer while she was young and they are still refusing me i have vaginal bleeding inbeetween periods really heavy periods too ,very painful intercourse and lower stomach pains nausea and also i have gone from size 12 to size 6-8 within a small amount of time with no exercise or anything so im really worried if you go on jo's diary i think the site is its about cervical cancer and has some really nice people there to answer your question and really they help you feelnot alone and also can tell you alot it really helped me i have been told to go private even nurses have told me to go private at the hospital i dont know if this will help but atleast your getting a smear right ? so you will have some answers very soon i hope your ok x

More than 90% of cervical cancers are caused by a virus called Hpv. Hpv has more than 100 strains and only few of them could cause cancer which are called high risk hpv strains. I have a high risk hpv in my cervix and had borderline cell changes, had a colposcopy and it confirmed that I only have endometriosis and no pre-cancerous cells. So even if you have high risk hpv it takes ages for it to cause precancerous cells and it takes ages for them to become cancerous. In most cases these cells turn back to normal on their own and the body flushes the virus off. Even if it doesn't and even if you have severe cell changes, you can have a treatment to remove those cells so as soon as you have your routine smears you will never have cervical cancer. Hope this helps x
    Last edited by popejoan; 03-01-15 at 21:48.

Can you answer a few questions? how old are you and was this your first smear test?

Did you know that even abnormal cells have a very small risk of turning into cancer and even then it often takes 10 years to do so? They get rid of any abnormal cells because they don't know if they will turn into cancer or not, but it takes years and most of them are harmless and most of the time we fight off HPV ourselves.

So even in the worst case scenario you have some abnormal cells they will treat it easily enough. It takes a long long time for abnormal cells to turn into cancer if they are going to. Again, you will get the odd scare story where someone went from abnormal cells to cancer in a few months but you have more chance of winning the lottery or having a bus come into your house and run you over.

Of course you will hear the odd scare story but cervical cancer is so very very rare in women who have smear tests and the reason why they wait until you are in your 20's to have a smear test is because A) as we grow into adults it is normal to have abnormal cells and B) even if you did have abnormal cells they would likely go on their own or take so long to turn into cancer that they see no benefit to testing people under 25.

You probably bled because you have a sensitive cervix, so many women have to go back because they bled a bit; this is nothing abnormal. You could even have a cervical erosion which can cause pain and this again is a pain, but totally harmless and very very common.

I see no reason for you to go back earlier. When you see your nurse discuss your fears with her.

The blood on the loo roll? are you due on your period or just finished? were you having a pee or a poo? is it possible you have piles? have you been poking yourself around a bit to look for signs? going to the toilet more to check for discharge and as a result increase your wiping which could have caused a cut?

Are you on birth control? Break through bleeding is very common with some types of birth control.

You have your smear on Friday, explain how you feel and go from there.

Thank you so much for all your replies - they've made me feel better.

In answer to your questions I'm 28 so have had at least one smear before. I am also on cerazette although haven't had any breakthrough bleeding previously.

I will try and hold out til the test on Friday and see if I can stop worrying and overreacting in the meantim. Think I'll avoid the Jo's website, only because I feel it might reinforce my fears!

Ok you had a smear test before.. you are going to be fine. Worst case you may have some abnormal cells.

I had some, they left them and they went away on their own. If they treat them it is small painless procedure. You have nothing to fear xx

I've brought my smear forward to tomorrow. I just can't relax, sitting here thinking about all the symptoms I've had and why hadn't I sorted earlier/it must be something terrible etc etc.

Also, I know this sounds ridiculous, but can't actually remember having the smear in 2011 when I was first meant to/getting clear results. I'm sure I would have gone because I got the letter saying I should (I found the letter in my filing cabinet the ohter day) but can't actually remember the experience and can't find the later saying everything was all ok.

What if I didn't go and this has therefore been developing over 10 years or something? Can't enjoy 2015 at all yet as keep thinking 'what if that was my last Christmas' . Boyf is just worried about my worry levels!!

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

Smear test in half an hour. So scared it will bleed loads again - how could I survive another 3 months if they make me wait again before having another smear.

---------- Post added at 15:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 ----------

Had the test. It was ok. The best thing was the nurse was lovely. I told her about my anxiety and she told me that she couldn't guarantee, but didn't think there was anything to worry about and everything looked ok. I did bleed again, but she says she was hopeful that she got the sample she needed. 7-10 days for the results. Fingers crossed it will be good news!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information