Thread: ct and radiation HELP !!!

ct and radiation HELP !!!

first of all im so sorry to bother but i really really would be thankful for some info about my case.
    Im 28 year old female from Costa Rica i have been suffering from heath anxiety for 2 years, so for 3 stupid reasons that were not need it I had 3 head scans in 1 year period (all of them with no contrast and 4 month difference from each other) I had no idea the amount of radiation they had and i can assure you i learn the lesson in terms of radiology and that you dont play with it. BUT im sooooooooooooooo afraid of the future cos of the cts.

HOW BIG ARE THE CHANCES OF ME GETTING CANCER COS OF THE 3 HEAD CTS?
    WHAT IS THE TIME FRAME OF CANCERS FOR RADIATION TO APPEAR?
    DOES THE FACT THAT THEY WERE 3 IN ! YEAR AND IN THE SAME ZONE MAKE IT WORSE???

again sorry for being a pain and i would really be thankful for ur answer

Re: ct and radiation HELP !!!

This comes from a Mayo Clinic expert:

"What are the risks of medical radiation exposure?
    At the low radiation doses from medical imaging, the exact magnitude of risk is a controversial topic. This is because below 100 millisieverts of radiation, the risks are too low to be directly measured. In fact, some experts believe that there is no risk at these low doses. To be on the safe side of this debate, we assume that there is some small increase in cancer risk from even low doses of radiation and so try to keep the dose levels as low as reasonably possible, while at the same time making sure that the image quality is sufficient to provide an accurate diagnosis.

To be clear, there is minimal risk associated with a single or even multiple CT scans. Normally, people get about 3 millisieverts of radiation each year from background environmental radiation, such as radon and cosmic rays. In higher elevation areas such as Colorado, the background exposure can be up to 10 millisieverts per year, yet no increased incidence of cancer in higher background radiation locations has been observed. A CT scan can deliver anywhere from 2 to 10 millisieverts of radiation, depending on what type of scan a patient receives. For exams requiring multiple scans, this can add up to 20-30 milliSieverts, but this is still considered a low dose of radiation. For some, scans, such as a head CT, the exposure is very low, about 1 - 2 milliSieverts."

Thread Information