Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Depression Progress over time

Re: Does Depression Progress over time

Thanks for your post Marie.

All these worries I've had for the past 10 - 15 years so I just need to focus on doing what I did before to get better.

January seems to be a bad time of year for me, when I've had these bad issues before.

Thanks,

John

Hmmm. Have you ever considered that you may have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)? This form of depression can be very severe at times. Mine is accompanied by GAD, which is pretty common, and gets bad too.

Yeah I've thought about it before.

It normally always starts with worry and panic though. Just this time it started with me feeling really down.

Hi

I think depression's effects can certainly get worse over time. This is just my experience though, and is directly tied to the relationship I'm in.

It has kind of crept up, some of the time over the last few years has blurred into one very long day, and although sometimes I'd say I'm no different than before, I occasionally see a photo and realise that theres a different look in my eyes that was there, that has gone now.

Theres a weird emptiness or void now, and as though things I enjoy are just temporary.

Hope this hasn't made you feel worse! I do believe though that there is hope, and you must hold onto that too somehow, even if 99% of your being is struggling, fight for that 1% that believes in a happy future.

I've taken my first Sertraline tablet this morning. 100mg.

Definitely did good on these before so hoping they help me again this time.

Well done for taking that step! I've also just started on meds, Day 4. Must be the time of year, wabbit1 has just started on meds too.

This is my second bout of severe depression. I don't think it's any worse than the last time. There's more out-of-control episodes, but I'm also more able to get out the house than last time. I think.

Thanks Lior.

I've only been off Sertraline for about 5 months. Do you think it should start to work fairly quickly and I should oly get the same side effects as last time?

Really worried it will make me manic/psychotic

You know how unlikely that is

My doctor said that the side effects will be familiar - so I doubt I'll get any new ones. It's possible I guess but I'm not worried. The effects of being depressed are much worse than the side effects of Citalopram! So what if I feel nauseous and a bit disconnected - when I'm depressed I can barely do anything, I can't concentrate, I'm low and impulsive... side effects of meds are nothing compared to living with depression without them.

If you're on them, it's worth it. The side effects will most likely be worth it.

Its just so hard.

Last time on Sertraline I was able to get back into full time employment. I had a few side effects at the start but I think these could have been anxiety anyway.

I just don't want it to take forever to get better again. Or for it to get worse with the psychosis and mania I'm worrying about.

That's great that you got back into work. That's what I'm hoping for too.

Medication takes 4-8 weeks to kick in, as far as I know... it gets easier if you accept that it will just take time.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information