Quote Originally Posted by nickw View Post
It's one of those ones that will vary from Doctor to Doctor.

Chiefly because it has some relaxing therapeutic effects that can make it desirable recreationally and groups such as heroin addicts will seek it out so there is potential for black market resale.

Despite the fact that these therapeutic effects are part of what makes it an effective treatment, some Drs simply do not feel comfortable with using anything that has a cold purely medical purpose. Some however are more laid back - my ex for example mentioned anxiety and got Diazepam straight away - something even I thought was a bit irresponsible.

It's not know exactly how Pregablin works and there are more common alternatives.

So they will be looking to see if you've asked for it as you think you may enjoy it. They will also be looking at your personality - someone who is a little unstable, prone to mood swings and depression also runs a higher risk of abuse and addiction.

It is frustrating that there are so many barriers to potentially effective legitimate medicine, when hard rugs are easy enough to get on the black market if you were not going by the book. If something makes you feel good on top of treatment then bonus!
That would mean no one with mental health problems would get it!

The actual advice to doctors is not to issue it to patients with a history of substance abuse.

I have no idea what you mean by doctors be unwilling to issue a med because it has a purely medical purpose - that's the point of all meds!