Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: GP won't prescribe me pregabalin.

Re: GP won't prescribe me pregabalin.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1 View Post
    I don’t understand as why it is difficult for a script when studies show it’s not addictive..
    Some of the early studies did claim this, but experience and more recent data suggests otherwise.

It can trigger dependency to about the same extent as the benzodiazepines (BZDs), and it will induce euphoria at high doses which is why it (and gabapentin) are now classified as a Class C controlled substance in the UK together with BZDs, stimulants and some opioids and a Schedule V controlled substance in the U.S. (Australia has yet to act, but it's only a matter of time). Unfortunately, it has become a drug of abuse and some are dying as a result.

The only advantage pregabalin has over the BZDs is that it doesn't seem to inhibit hippocampal neurogenesis and may enhance it.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Some of the early studies did claim this, but experience and more recent data suggests otherwise.

It can trigger dependency to about the same extent as the benzodiazepines (BZDs), and it will induce euphoria at high doses which is why it (and gabapentin) are now classified as a Class C controlled substance in the UK together with BZDs, stimulants and some opioids and a Schedule V controlled substance in the U.S. (Australia has yet to act, but it's only a matter of time). Unfortunately, it has become a drug of abuse and some are dying as a result.

The only advantage pregabalin has over the BZDs is that it doesn't seem to inhibit hippocampal neurogenesis and may enhance it.
    Yep, it only went to a Class C here to allow law enforcement to take harsher action to address it because it had become a street drug. It was common in prisons. Without those campaigning to tighten it up (and bizarrely GP's were criticised for not being more careful in controlling it...which is worrying considering there are worse things they could give you) it wouldn't have changed from a Schedule 4 drug along with all other normal meds.

The Class C campaign also caused the negative attitude towards mental health. Now people struggle to get it more because GP's are worried they will get picked up on it...yet they will write you a script for some Benzo's of Hypnotics much more easily That's politics for you!

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post

Thank You Ian for the information, I think I need to speak with my GP and wean myself off it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn1 View Post
    Thank You Ian for the information, I think I need to speak with my GP and wean myself off it.
    Please don't rush to action. Take the time to thoroughly discuss your options with your GP. Pregabalin may remain the best option for you. There is also a case for staying on it until an alternative treatment, med, or therapy, takes effect. There is some evidence that it enhances hippocampal neurogenesis, the mechanism by which ADs and therapy work, by advancing the maturation of new brain cells (Valente MM, 2012; Lempel AA, 2017).

Hi guys!

Just wanted to say I have been on several SSRIs and SNRIs over 24 years, predominantly fluoxetine, but I got fed up with the HURRENDOUS night sweats and not feeling any affects or reduction on my ocd and anxieties.

With a cry out to my doctor last week, I begged there must be something else to which he said Pregabalin. I had heard of it through my sister (she’s a nurse and had it for fybro) and I innocently said oh yeah pregab. With that he stopped and said oh you’ve heard of it? And I had to almost back peddle in the seconds he could of withdrawn it from me.

Thank god he didn’t and has allowed me to try it out. Again, it’s taken 24 years to be offered this... let’s see how it goes.

On a side note, he will not prescribe me any more Diaz or loraz, due to not wanting me to continue any addictions. I explained it’s not fair as a paying patient I’m being refused treatment that helps me function, whether that maybe for life, he will not do it. It’s sad that this could tip people over the edge. Some people can’t cope without those fast acting meds.... let’s just say I hope the pregab works for me???

I'm melding your two posts into one to aid clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mollymoo16 View Post
    Just wanted to say I have been on several SSRIs and SNRIs over 24 years, predominantly fluoxetine, but I got fed up with the HURRENDOUS night sweats and not feeling any affects or reduction on my ocd and anxieties.
    So you've not tried one of the tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs)?

Again, it’s taken 24 years to be offered this... let’s see how it goes.
    Pregabalin is a relatively new med and one that also has issues when it comes to treating anxiety, including triggering dependence.

On a side note, he will not prescribe me any more Diaz or loraz, due to not wanting me to continue any addictions. I explained it’s not fair as a paying patient I’m being refused treatment that helps me function, whether that maybe for life, he will not do it. It’s sad that this could tip people over the edge. Some people can’t cope without those fast acting meds.... let’s just say I hope the pregab works for me???
    There is a much more compelling reason than dependence for not taking benzodiazepines (BZDs) for anxiety (also depression). While they relieve anxiety for a few hours they actually make things worse in the longer term.

Anxiety and depression are the emotional symptoms of a brain disorder in which high stress hormone levels kill brain cells in the twin hippocampal regions of the brain and inhibit the growth of new ones. In may respects these are a type of auto immune disorder. Antidepressants and therapy both work by stimulating the growth of new cells (neurogenesis). It is these new cells and the connections they form which provide the therapeutic response, not the treatments directly. For more detailed explanations see also: Depression and the Birth and Death of Brain Cells (PDF) and How antidepressant drugs act.

The problem with benzodiazepines (BZDs) is they have the same negative effect on hippocampal brain cells as stress hormones do and may significantly reduce the effectiveness of ADs and therapy by blocking neurogenesis when taken for more than a day or two at a time. See: Boldrini M, 2014; Nochi R, 2013; Sun Y, 2013; Song J, 2012; Wu X, 2009; Stefovska VG, 2008), plus the 'Ugly' part of Benzodiazepines: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.

I haven’t drunk alcohol for months! I decided to try 2 simple mini cocktails last weekend and I was sick, kept seeing double, 2 faces of the person I was looking at and things across their faces!?
    Alcohol can significantly raise pregabalin plasma levels and is thus contra indicated (as it is for BZDs).

Plus, alcohol has the same negative impact on hippocampal neurogenesis as the BZDs and stress hormones. Even moderate drinking can result in significant hippocampal atrophy/Topiwala A, 2017; - see also: Anderson ML, 2012; Morris SA, 2010; Crews FT, 2003).

My GP also won’t prescribe me this for my anxiety. I am devastated because it’s changed my mums life for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurenregina View Post
    My GP also won’t prescribe me this for my anxiety. I am devastated because it’s changed my mums life for the better.
    to NMP,

Pregabalin is one of a number of meds which work well for some, but not for most. While your mother's positive experience increases the chances you will also benefit from it this is by no means a certainty. Antidepressants (ADs) are generally a better option.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information