Thread: A man's best friend...

A man's best friend...

... is a woman.

It didn't occur to me when I started seeing my boyfriend that one of his friends would become a problem. He has a male friend from a previous work place who has been married for some time. My boyfriend, his male friend and his wife have been good friends all of this time. This is all good, friends are good :-) I don't know either of them well enough to call them friends myself, but I've met them on a few occasions, been for drinks etc. We all work at the same place, expect the male friend, but in different departments.

Cutting a long story short, his friend has just separated from his wife. She's leaving and moving into a rented house.

My boyfriend shows an immense amount of support to the female friend. She's always messaging him when she needs support for any issue she is having, whether she's at work or at home. She has anxiety, panic disorder. There have been numerous occasions at work where she has been in such a state that he's gone to sit with her in the car to calm her down.

For me this would be too much for any friend. She is receiving psychological help but it has only just started.

I've expressed my concern to my boyfriend that she is consuming too much of his time. He's not her doctor. But I'm by no means suggesting he shouldn't be her friend.

Frustratingly, the house she is renting is relatively close to us, a few mins drive but still a little too close. Close enough that it's already worrying me that she'll need his help at random times. I don't wish her to come to any harm of course. But I can see it happening.

To make things worse, she's had an affair right after separating. With a man from work who has a girlfriend.

The female friend was already starting to annoy me with her constant presence, but it's made it incredibly difficult for me to show her sympathy now after messing around with another man. That to me is the lowest.

I guess I find it difficult because she is a woman. I don't think for one second that she is interested in my boyfriend. She is already interested in someone else. But I sometimes feel like I am sharing his time with her and that perhaps he gives more or too much support to her than me. I have issues with anxiety and depression, but I'm probably more in control than she is. If I have a problem at work my boyfriend finds it difficult to know what to say to help. And I can't help but wonder how he gives this friend support. He may just be telling her what she wants to hear, I don't know.

I probably read more into situations than 'normal' people would, but that's all part of the charm of anxiety, right.

Thanks for reading.

Re: A man's best friend...

It does sound like some boundaries are needed.

I guess he feels like be should support a friend with anxiety issues but that counts for you too so he should surely be giving you the same?

The affair the other woman had may have been born out of going through a tough time as we get desperate for any help so I would probably try to be open minded on that do you can be about how it could affect their friendship, look for warning signs, etc.

I guess its going to come down to him talking to her about backing of a bit and finding other support mechanisms.

You and he need to have a conversation, tell him you have alarm bells ringing.

MynameisTerry is right. Your man needs to take a couple of steps back from her, otherwise she will become even more dependant on him, which in turn could cause disruption in your relationship. Doesn't she have any female friends? or any family she can turn to?

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, it does seem like some boundaries are needed. I have said similar to this, and that she needs to back off a bit. Unfortunately the message hasn't been passed on to her as yet. Whether my boyfriend can't find the right way to say it or doesn't want to say it, I don't know. I get the impression it would cause some sort of upset... for her. It's probably 'not a good time'.

I think she's someone who has always got her own way, or had good luck getting her way. And I guess she'll keep friends that fuel that.

The situation gets me down. I've not felt low for a while. I expect a lot of it is down to self esteem, self worth. I have a doctors appointment on friday, while I'm there I'm going to discuss it. It will be difficult to do anything about it in the short term as I already take 40mg of citalopram. My doctor said I can't be given a higher dose without psychiatric help. It may be something that will pass though.

It probably also bothers me somewhat because I don't have any close friends. I would never deny anyone the right to have a friend. I suppose I feel as though I'm missing out on something when I see him helping her.

Hope this is making sense, and not a big ramble!

Thanks again.

It makes total sense.
    Why don't you suggest that YOU befriend her?? that way you can take back some control

It's a good idea and it's one I'll have to seriously think about. I've been reluctant to act on it as I don't feel I could take on anyone else's problems right now. And with everything that I hear about her I think that's what much of it would be. I don't want to sound unsympathetic...

My boyfriend has suggested similar, to get to know her better.
    So I think it would be wise to try. I guess I wouldn't feel as left out at times.

I will give it some time and then try to start again with her. Wish her luck ;-/ (joking!)

Thanks for your advice

That's right and maybe 'helping' her may take your mind off what's happening with you.

It's like my husband worried that me being on this forum would 'bring me down' but it doesn't it helps!!!!!

So go on, give it a try, you may not end up BFF, but it may put YOUR mind at ease concerning your man!!!!!

Thread Information