Thread: tightness across breast bones????????

tightness across breast bones????????

i have a tightness across my chest ones,like above my boobs going upto my neck.its not further down where i usualy get it when im nervous.this is different.my friend said she has had this and the doctor prescribed anti histamines(not sure on spelling)because it said it can mean a little allergy to something and hers cleared up.any how im sitting worried about it.has anyone else had this and i know this isnt the usual tight chest caused by anxiety.x

Hi there,

All I know is I get chest pains on the left side anywhere from slightly below my armpit upwards across to the center of my chest. This has happened most days for almost four months now.

I've been told it is anxiety and/or a sternum/rib condition.

If you have already been to the docs and are in good health and young I cannot see a potential serious problem. I know it is really tough, I'm in pain myself tonight, but we must try and not worry and go to the GP, although take comfort if the pain really gets worse or doesn't improve the emergency services are close.

However, we are probaly more likely to win a good sum on the lottery than have a serious problem!

I get sore in this area too, it hurts if you press on the ribs. Any group of muscles can get tight and sore due to anxiety. Another possibility is that your ribs are sore due to costochondritis (inflammation of the ribs), which is the cause of my soreness. This is uncomfortable but not serious. Visit the doc if it dosn't ease up after a few days. You could also try Deep Heat and massage, hot bath etc.

Best wishes
    Mable

Mable,

I've been told I have costo. It has lasted months, also now told anxiety could be an issue as well.

I'm told at 27, not smoking, drinking, taking drugs, being overweight or having family history, I'm told no further tests are required. It just takes time, although I may return to the docs soon.

Can you tell me what the symptoms are of costo are and how it started.

I have been suffering for months with what feels like flu like aches all over my body.
    I have stomach aches and pains and pains in my lower to mid back.
    At the moment I have burning pains in the front of my chest and the sides of my ribs hurt when pushed or if I lay on them.

I feel I have flu or some sort of infection but these pains are giving me a heard time. Doc has put me on muscle relaxents and pain killers.

I know I have health anxiety big time, but it can't all be caused by anxiety....can it?

Hi Gray,

"Costochondritis is an inflammation of the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum."

The cause of the inflammation is unknown, although can be a physical injury you have done or perhaps a bad infection. Also, it can trigger other pains. The doctors can do little to help, cause unknown and timespan to cure is really unknown. The problem is you see everytime you breathe this cartilage is used and as cartilage has no blood flow, it is very difficult for it to repair quickly.

I was told I had this condition around 5 months ago. It got better for a while but being the fool I am I thought that was the end of it and I returned to doing heavy jobs and bang, it started again and has lasted 4 months solid. I have chest pains almost everyday and despite being reassured it isn't my heart, this condition has caused anxiety in me.

Last A&E visit I was told I was now suffering anxiety and probably costo still. That said, it has been a real bad year for me and anxiety could now have taken over. I'm at a loss and have another GP appointment booked soon where I will ask for further tests but expect to be told I don't need them as before and then be put on antidepressants.

So far tests on my heart have been fine. I'm 27, no family history of heart issues, i've never smoked, don't drink, not overweight and don't suffer breathlessness or any other related symptoms.

Oh, and the general view is even if you do have costo, stress does make it a lot worse. Some even believe costo is cause by the "chronic bracing" of muscles due to stress. Costro cause nasty pains, but it doesn't do any damage.

I'm hoping if I can kick the anxiety the pain will reduce. It is always worth a doctors visit though.

hope things are better for you soon xxx I will keep everyone informed.

Sounds like you are going through the same as me but for a different "illness".

I know I am suffering with something like an infection or stomach problem but I have tied myself up in knots thinking it is something serious.

I have had camara in stomach, scan on gall blader and chest xray all clear.

I am currently having stomach aches and pains and pains/aches/burning in back and sides of ribs.
    I also feel weak and flu like with occassional hot fever feelings.

I have lost count of how many times I have been to docs and A+E.
    I have been told on a couple of occassions that it looks like I have a virus.

wish it would all go away and return to normal.

Am so glad to find this site. First had these symptoms a year ago and spent 7 hours in hospital to find nothing wrong. It returned last december and from last week has got really sore and am getting really worried. Am under a lot of stress at moment and do very physical job. Should I go to doctor to make sure as like a lot of you I don't want to waste his time if there is nothing he can do.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Can you tell me what the symptoms are of costo are and how it started.

I have been suffering for months with what feels like flu like aches all over my body.
    I have stomach aches and pains and pains in my lower to mid back.
    At the moment I have burning pains in the front of my chest and the sides of my ribs hurt when pushed or if I lay on them.

I feel I have flu or some sort of infection but these pains are giving me a heard time. Doc has put me on muscle relaxents and pain killers.

I know I have health anxiety big time, but it can't all be caused by anxiety....can it?

<div align="right">Originally posted by Gray7_2 - 12 January 2007 : 10:02:21</div id="right">
    </td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
    you are describing everything that im suffering from at the moment!! its been constant now since a few weeks before christmas and have not been tested for anything yet apart from my thyroid! the doc thinks its acid but it feels to me like some sort of chest/stomach bug but they arent listening :(

I have same trouble.
    The doc has told me "in so many words" that he can't do anything more.

I am currently waiting for a U/Sound of stomach and a colonoscopy but this does not explain why I get burning aches in my sides??!!

I have again been into a walk in clinic and the say keep taking pain killers but worse than that they asked me " how was I feeling in myself"?

So yes I now am being labled as a nut jub!

Feel I am only going mad because no one is listening to what I am trying to tell them.

I was healthy and fully fit before this (4 months ago) but they seem to forgotten that fact.

Thread Information