Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relaxed mind... physical symptoms remain. How long?

Relaxed mind... physical symptoms remain. How long?

I know this question is difficult to answer as each person is different, but was just wondering. I'm finding that even once you know it's anxiety causing your symptoms, it still takes a LOT of time for your body to readjust to 'normal' (whatever that is).

I'm finding this really really disheartening as one day I feel fine (usually after a better nights sleep) and the next I just feel horrid all day and my body starts to hurt again. I suffer mostly with palpatations, rib tenderness, butterflies in my stomach and just general horrible fatigue where I can hardly walk around.

My general mood is a lot better, I am no longer worried that my symptoms are something more sinister and have accepted that my symptoms are all just down to chronic stress.

I know you have to let time pass and let your body readjust, and I know it takes time indeed, but how long have people found it takes for your body to start ridding of all the physical anxiety symptoms?

“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.”

Re: Relaxed mind... physical symptoms remain. How long?

I think that sometimes there are little relapses, but since I've accepted my HA they are more short-lived. For example, today I'm feeling a little off because I woke up with a pain in my back. I got a little nervous, fearing the worst, but put it out of my mind. I'll probably feel better tomorrow, after a long sleep.

As for how long it took me to feel better back when I got past the worst of my HA - maybe a week or two? I honestly can't remember I think with distractions it's much easier, though, so keep yourself busy! Some of it is that you've developed the habit, and subconsciously those thoughts and feelings remain, so you just have to get out of that place without succumbing back into the HA.

You can do it, though! Good job for coming this far!
    Sometimes I fly like an eagle, sometimes I'm deep in despair.

Thanks )

At the moment I have horrible vertigo from either just general stress and neck tension or the pharmacist said it could be from the Quiet Life tablets i'm taking.

I'm keen to stop taking them but it's only been a week and a half since I started so I might see how it goes.

I'm also suffering from some kind of virus (my mum has the same) so that is adding to my physical symptoms at the moment.

But that's really positive, thanks, I will keep going!!!x

“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.”

I'm still wondering this too.
    The past few weeks I've felt very calm. My mind no longer thinks about anxiety, or goes there.
    Yet I still feel physical symptoms every day. Sometimes very subtle, sometimes harder. Never all day anymore.

But for example this morning I was working, not stressed or anything, just answering a few mails. And all of a sudden I started shaking and twitching like crazy!
    And I thought: but I feel calm in myself, I'm not thinking about anxiety. Why is this still happening?
    I know it takes longer for your body to calm down than your mind. But I do wonder how much longer I'll have to put up with this

ive been wondering the same.
    ive never suffered anxiety like this before and i have spend about 4 weeks in a complete panic and its been such a shock for me.
    ive felt a bit calmer for a few days but im still feeling that internal shaky feeling deep down (a lot better than is was but still there), my bowels are still suffering, im not sleeping properly and my back is still aching.

i would love for these symptoms to go away now so everything can go back to normal.

Well I can tell you my bowels and stomach problems went away after a few weeks of my anxiety disappearing.
    My heart palpitations are for the most part gone.
    But I still get the internal shaking and muscle twitches every single day. Sometimes not so bad, sometimes awful!

It's awful but its usual for the physical symptoms to carry on for a while after the anxious thoughts have subsided. I find that mine stay for a few weeks after I'm completely ok mentally. It's a pain like you say you can be just typing emails and then you start getting all jittery. Just keep going, keep busy and it will get better and better. Xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkling_Fairy View Post
    Well I can tell you my bowels and stomach problems went away after a few weeks of my anxiety disappearing.
    My heart palpitations are for the most part gone.
    But I still get the internal shaking and muscle twitches every single day. Sometimes not so bad, sometimes awful!
    im hoping things settle down soon and its good to hear that the bowels and stomach will settle.
    the internal shaking is there most of the time but seems more noticeable her and there.
    glad your symptoms are slowly settling down xx

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy daisy View Post
    It's awful but its usual for the physical symptoms to carry on for a while after the anxious thoughts have subsided. I find that mine stay for a few weeks after I'm completely ok mentally. It's a pain like you say you can be just typing emails and then you start getting all jittery. Just keep going, keep busy and it will get better and better. Xxxx
    Thanks for that! I do hope they go away soon. Most of my symptoms seem to have gone, or gotten softer. But I do still have some of them.
    I do find it I keep busy I feel better.

If i have specific pains related to a worry, it takes a good 3 weeks for them to ease after my worrying has stopped. You brain has to forget about the pains and desensitise X

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information